Ibook dual display

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hey, I have a stock 12" ibook with a vga in. Can I hook up with an extra 15" LCD display and rock the dual display? Do I conect with the VGA cable apple sent me in the box? Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    trtamtrtam Posts: 111member
    you can dual-dispay it in terms of mirroring, but not extend your desktop. there are some hacks...but i wouldn't know about those...
  • Reply 2 of 7
    hxc04hxc04 Posts: 145member
    what does that mean, mirroring?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hxc04

what does that mean, mirroring?

Mirroring means you see the exact same thing on both displays. Spanning means the two displays act together as one huge desktop that you can drag stuff from one to the other.

The iBook's video chip can do spanning, but it is disabled by Apple. Google will probably turn up a way to do it but it can hose your system if you screw up.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

Mirroring means you see the exact same thing on both displays. Spanning means the two displays act together as one huge desktop that you can drag stuff from one to the other.

The iBook's video chip can do spanning, but it is disabled by Apple. Google will probably turn up a way to do it but it can hose your system if you screw up.

there is a script that you can download. It's a simple double-click and restart kind of thing. Should be no problem on a recent iBook. I think if you search for "iBook screen-spanning hack" you'll find it.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    When the hack came out, some people had trouble with the old Rage chips. However, iBooks have been shipping with Radeons for many years now. There are tons of iBook screen spanning hacks done (it's the same ol' hack, hasn't changed over models) and so far I haven't seen a single post that it would have harmed an iBook with a Radeon. If an iBook has a Radeon, I'd put a 100:1 wager on the hack working.

edit: the hack is totally reversible as well, so if you have to return iBook for service and want to switch the hack off for that time, you can.

I <3 my 1024x768 - 1920x1200 setup. Now if only Apple got off their ass, put a mini-DVI plug in the next iBook, included the mini-DVI to VGA (like now) and sold mini-DVI to DVI separately for $20. They'd make money and I'd be happier. As it is, it's like they don't want to sell displays.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    hxc04hxc04 Posts: 145member
    Yeah I am not too worried about it, my iBook g4 is only 2 months old, so I feel pretty good about doing it
  • Reply 7 of 7
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member
    c't has just published a new version of the iBook Screen Enhancer for Tiger.