Extra Large Printing in Tiger?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Just received our new PowerMac G5 this week, but hit a glitch with printing. We're a newspaper that prints 2-up broadsheet pages to a Navigator RIP for our Stingray Imagesetter. When I tried to print pages, only 13x19 of it shows. (The largest default paper setting is "Super B/A1" which is only 13x19. Why Apple changed this from Panther makes no sense to me! Any suggestions?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nedrick

Just received our new PowerMac G5 this week, but hit a glitch with printing. We're a newspaper that prints 2-up broadsheet pages to a Navigator RIP for our Stingray Imagesetter. When I tried to print pages, only 13x19 of it shows. (The largest default paper setting is "Super B/A1" which is only 13x19. Why Apple changed this from Panther makes no sense to me! Any suggestions?

This may be something that wasn't checked before Tiger release. Since you still have your 90 day phone support, I'd call them and see what they say. Since printing is CUPS, I'm pretty sure there might be a BSD workaround.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

This may be something that wasn't checked before Tiger release. Since you still have your 90 day phone support, I'd call them and see what they say. Since printing is CUPS, I'm pretty sure there might be a BSD workaround.

Funny thing about Apple Care....

I called and asked them about this. They said they weren't trained in it and told me to go to the support discussion board and ask there. I've done that (with 2 different threads) and received no response.

Also, excuse my ignorance, but what is CUPS and BSD?

Thanks!
  • Reply 3 of 5
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nedrick

Funny thing about Apple Care....

I called and asked them about this. They said they weren't trained in it and told me to go to the support discussion board and ask there. I've done that (with 2 different threads) and received no response.

Also, excuse my ignorance, but what is CUPS and BSD?

Thanks!

That sucks - they are supposed to help you. Try the CUPS documentation - I know it is supposed to have a Web interface to configure it. (EDIT: the web interface will come up if you go to http://localhost:631/)

CUPS - Common Unix Printing System http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CUPS

BSD - Berkeley Software Distribution (BSD) is the UNIX derivative distributed by the University of California, Berkeley starting in the 1970s. The name is also used collectively for the modern descendants of these distributions.

Mac OS X is the latest version of the Mac OS, the operating system software for Macintosh computers. Mac OS X was first commercially released in 2001. It consists of two main parts: Darwin, an open source Unix-like environment which is based on the BSD source tree and the Mach microkernel, adapted and further developed by Apple Computer with involvement from independent developers; and a proprietary GUI named Aqua, developed by Apple.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    What is the problem here? Just make a bigger size:

File->Page Setup->Paper Size->Manage Custom Sizes...

Apple has the default sizes there, because those are the default sizes. Anything outside of that is custom...
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by Karl Kuehn

What is the problem here? Just make a bigger size:

File->Page Setup->Paper Size->Manage Custom Sizes...

Apple has the default sizes there, because those are the default sizes. Anything outside of that is custom...

Sorry - but I don't understand where you're coming from here. I use Adobe InDesign and can make the paper size as big as I want. But the OS has the limitation to the size able to be printed. Where do I find this? (File->Page Setup->Paper Size->Manage Custom Sizes)

Thanks!