say goodbye to the L, N & C key on my keyboard!?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Yesterday, was the end of the L on my keyboard. You can't see it anymore. It's worn off. The N is next, then the C, D & M are fading fast.

Is this normal? Under warantee?

TIA!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    The key labels shouldn't have come off completely under normal use. I would expect them to fade with a few years' use, but not come off completely.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    I have had my ibook for 6months and the N is GONE and the cd&l are following suite. I will head to the apple store and hope they can help.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by craftymacgirl

Yesterday, was the end of the L on my keyboard. You can't see it anymore. It's worn off. The N is next, then the C, D & M are fading fast.

Is this normal? Under warantee?

TIA!

That's weird. The frequency order of English letters is E-T-A-O-I-N-S. So one would think that the E would go first.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    You have to consider though where the fingers rest if you type correctly. So the most worn keys could be asdf jkl :0)

Since my D & L went first, that makes sense :0)
  • Reply 5 of 17
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    My iBook is about a year and a half old and N is on its way out.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    mine is a year old and all that is left of "L" is the bottom line, "_"

my "N" looks like "|", and my a,s, and d are on the way out

never had this happen before
  • Reply 7 of 17
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Its a feature, people.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

That's weird. The frequency order of English letters is E-T-A-O-I-N-S. So one would think that the E would go first.

But if he uses google a lot and types P-O-R-N is a whole other matter!
  • Reply 9 of 17
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Its a feature, people.

Seriously now, it seems that what happens is the unavoidable: Apple, like almost any other manufacturer, is affected by the general quality decline in computer industry.

I have in the house a Wallstreet Powerbook, that is approaching seven years of trouble free life now. Only in this year I have seen a little wear on the Cmd key. Not fading away though, just a little wear in one corner.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    I agree completely. we are seeing the complete degradation of quality - and that goes for all computers. As I said, I have had my ibook for 6 months! I went ahead and put scrapbooking stickers over the LNDC keys until I trek to the applestore for a replacement. It appears that they will replace the entire keypaid - so I will get that done. In the meantime, I have an interesting keyboard look now!

I will have to post a pic later.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by craftymacgirl

In the meantime, I have an interesting keyboard look now!

I will have to post a pic later.

Yeah, I would like to see it .
  • Reply 12 of 17
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    My 5 year old Pismo has all the letters with no signs of wear. That sounds like Apple is using cheap keyboards to save a few ¢.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    My ibook was purchased in April of this year. I just called apple support and they are sending out a new keyboard to replace the old one. They said "just dispose of the current one" - 1 year warr. on parts :0) Very happy!

I will post a pic in a minute!
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Any chance of getting a replacement for a barely out of warranty iBook? My iBook was out of warranty at the end of August and I have about 10 keys that are very worn.

Failing that, what is the Apple price on a replacement keyboard?
  • Reply 15 of 17
    Gosh,I don't know. I would think you will have to find someone with some warr. left and have them give you their keyboard -

wish I could help
  • Reply 16 of 17
    The bulb on my dad's halogen lamp fell on top of his iBook's keyboard and melted/distorted about seven of the keys on his keyboard... we took it to the Apple store in San Diego and they were really nice: they pulled out a couple of used iBook keyboards and unsnapped the keys off of those and snapped them in place of my dad's distorted ones. they actually went through a few until they found all of the missing keys.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by RANSOMED

The bulb on my dad's halogen lamp fell on top of his iBooks's keyboard and melted/distorted about seven of the keys on his keyboard... we took it to the Apple store in San Diego and they were really nice: they pulled out a couple of used ibook keyboards and unsnapped the keys off of those and snapped them in place of my dad's distorted ones. they actually went through a few 'cause until they found all of the missing keys.

That was nice of them. If it's less than 1 year old,I would call up apple now and order a replacement keyboard.