New iBook - Airport Extreme Causes Computer to Slow Down then Disconnects

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi,

I just recently purchased one of the new iBooks that came out end of July. It's the 12" model base config except for an upgrade to 1.5gb RAM. I'm running 10.4.2 and have tried both the airport version that came with that, and airport 4.2. The network I usually connect to uses PEAP (MSCHAPv2) for 802.1x security.

What happens is that while being connected to the internet, Airport suddenly goes insane and causes the mouse and all other graphics rendering of the OS to go really choppy or skip. EX: animations like application icon bouncing slows down and mouse is hard to control. This is followed by a disconnection from the internet, and the slowdown is not relieved until i turn airport off. If I turn it back on again, the slowdown immediately resumes, and the only way to get airport to normally connect again is to restart the computer. After which, it does the same thing again.. there doesn't seem to be a set time for this to happen, it could be 2 mins or 24 hours.

I've tried it with a different network (open netowrk). I brought over my iBook from the network I usually use and woke it from sleep at the new one. the iBook refused to connect/really slow until I restarted. I have reformatted and the problem still occurs.

I looked online and haven't found anything that could help me except for a very old bug from airport 3.4.2 which seemed to match my symptoms. It said computers with 1gb RAM or more suffered the same disconnect problems and wouldn't connect to networks out of sleep mode.

So, I'm wondering if anyone has ever heard of this problem and can help me out? This has been bugging me very much.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    Is the network you are connecting to yours? If so, try connecting to the network without any type of encryption. Also run Activity Monitor and see if you can identify a specific process that this slowing down your system.