OS X versus Linux

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I have a friend who believes that the OS X is crappy compared to Linux. Of course he wants to go back to the days of command line interfaces so, whatever...but, where do I go to defend OS X other than the fact that I like using it more than XP/2000?

And when are the majoe PC manufacturers going to start coming out with machines with Linux on them? they should put them out there on the cheap and watch MS shrink into nothing...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    keotkeot Posts: 116member
    Quote:

Originally posted by O-Mac

I have a friend who believes that the OS X is crappy compared to Linux. Of course he wants to go back to the days of command line interfaces so, whatever...but, where do I go to defend OS X other than the fact that I like using it more than XP/2000?

Well, on a recent test Linux was quicker than OS X Server on the same hardware for web hosting...

Look at why you use OS X. I use it because I wanted to play about with UNIX while having a very sturdy and polished GUI. If you strip both GNU/Linux and OS X back, they're nearly identical to the CLI (Command Line Interface) user.

Quote:

Originally posted by O-Mac

And when are the majoe PC manufacturers going to start coming out with machines with Linux on them? they should put them out there on the cheap and watch MS shrink into nothing...

Disclaimer: I may be a bit out of date on the following sentences.

You can get some Linux boxes here and there, but not from mainstream suppliers of Beige/Black boxes. Companies like Dell cannot sell cheap home machines running Linux or else Microsoft will charge them more for each Windows license Dell sells.

Microsoft also charge by how many machines you sell, regardless of what operating system is on them. This means Linux is more expensive for Dell to use than Windows, because the Microsoft tax has to be paid.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    here's my take. for some people Linux IS better than Mac OS, and they'll tell you that. people who like an insane degree of customization and really view their computer in itself, programming it, etc, sort of need linux. so, your friend's view of a 'good' os is one that can do all this stuff. he might call it 'powerful' or whatever.

i'm a long-time computer hobbiest myself. but no longer have any interest in trying out a billion different window managers, arguing the benefits of gnome vs. kde, or worry about dependencies every time i install a program. i still like to try to do a little scripting and stuff, but applescript more than handles what i like to do on occassion. os x lets me customize my os plenty, and with all the third-party apps out there, i could do even more, but it just isn't too important for me, since the window and desktop management of os x is smooth enough that i am not really left wanting much.

i wouldn't worry about 'defending' os x, different strokes for different folks, especially if his criticisms stem from open-source fanfare, the benefits of being able to choose from a dozen window managers, etc. however, if he says things like, 'it isn't as stable,' or, 'it isn't as secure,' then he's pretty much foolish, since it is a unix-based, bulletproof os.

my advice, don't argue with your friends about your choices of OS. try to find the merits of each and how they each suit what you do with your computers
  • Reply 3 of 4
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    It is all what you are doing, it is like moviong things in a vehical, If you are moving four or five people to grandmas, or going to work, then a lexsus is great, but if your 20 ton load of TV sets has to get from Chicago to Detroit, you need a big ole' 18-wheeler.

If you want a sample layout of where each would shine IMHO, here is what I have got:

Home desktop: Mac

Business/corprate desktop - Mac

power users/sysadmin desktop: Mac or Linux, whatever works best for the tasks in the enviornment

Video/graphics: Mac

3-d/super high end TV/movie production - either one, or a combo of both

Cheap 1-purpose low importance servers/firewalls/gateways = Linux

Super expencive mission critical data center type stuff - Linux

super computers/compute clusters - Linux or some variant of UNIX

kiosk/POS - linux

moble computing - Mac or linux depending on the primary job

moble handheld/PDAs/inventory scanning etc... - linux

integrated device (think set top box, or appliance or video conferancing system) - Linux

Cell phones: Linux, Symbien, palm...

Addendum:

Windows is a legacy platform at the present time, I think that all systems that can be moved from Windows should be, and all that cannot need to be treated like the current flock of OS/2 units, phase theme out as you can over an extended time.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by keot

Disclaimer: I may be a bit out of date on the following sentences.

Microsoft also charge by how many machines you sell, regardless of what operating system is on them.

Yeah, MS was fortunately forced to stop that illegal practice (called "per-processor licensing") by the US Dept of Justice. Also unfortunately, by the time they were forced to stop, they had driven DR-DOS and any others out of business, for the reason you state. That is how they got the monopoly.