Dreamweaver MX 2004 or Dreamweaver 8?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I really want to buy Macromedia Dreamweaver so I can update my Web site without having to go to school. Currently, Macromedia Dreamweaver MX 2004 academic is $100. The soon to be released Macromedia Dreamweaver 8 academic will be $200.

My questions are:

What's the difference between the two and is the extra $100 worth it for the updated version?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    From my reading, 8 is a major overhaul from MX 2004. I just bought MX 2004 a month ago and plan to upgrade because of some of the new capabilities 8 offers.

Quote:

so I can update my Web site without having to go to school

I'm not sure what your meaning is here. If you're implying that you don't want to have to learn HTML, etc. and be able to update your site easily, Dreamweaver is NOT what you want. Dreamweaver is an industrial strength content creation environment. If you want a "basic" HTML editor might I suggest PageSpinner.

- Jasen.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Anyone using 8 yet and how much better is it over MX 2004? MX 2004 sucks on the Mac.

Quote:

Originally posted by jasenj1

From my reading, 8 is a major overhaul from MX 2004. I just bought MX 2004 a month ago and plan to upgrade because of some of the new capabilities 8 offers.

I'm not sure what your meaning is here. If you're implying that you don't want to have to learn HTML, etc. and be able to update your site easily, Dreamweaver is NOT what you want. Dreamweaver is an industrial strength content creation environment. If you want a "basic" HTML editor might I suggest PageSpinner.

- Jasen.

• Reply 3 of 5
    your absolutely right dreamweaver runs HORRRIBLE on my Mini.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    8 is everything that MX2004 should have been.

Speed wise I can't say, I'm running it on a dual 2.5 which to be fair ran MX 2004 pretty well. 8 is faster though.

The biggest improvements that struck me are

1. Tabbed windows (stupid but true)

2. CSS support is about 1000% better

other than that I haven't had it long enough to play around. It seem more solid than MX (more like the old UltraDev days 3.0 i think)

j.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    i have to agree. i like this release. although, mx2004 was nice, this simply blows it away. all the small improvements really add up.