More RAM = much better!

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Yes, i know it's obvious, but i wasn't expecting the speed increase that i got when i upgraded my iMac G5 from 512 RAM to 1.5 gigs. It's like holy smokes faster! I ordered another 1 gig stick to get it to 2 gigs because what the hell i might as well get the max huh?

Anyone thinking about getting an iMac should definitely consider the extra $$ for the increased RAM.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Upping the RAM on a machine is always a good thing. Imagine having to carry 5 million gumballs from one container to another. Weight aside, would you rather use a bucket that can hold 10,000 gumballs or one that can carry 100,000 gumballs and make far less trips? That's the improvement more RAM gives you.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Every time I've added Ram I've seen an improvement.

I recently upgraded my G5 to 2.5 GB (from 1.5 GB) and notice and improvement. I can tell when my G5 at the office with a paltry 1 GB is paging and I think to myself what I could be doing that is a better use of my time. I guess if they want to pay me to look at the pinwheel cursor that is their prerogative.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:

I recently upgraded my G5 to 2.5 GB (from 1.5 GB)

I thought 2 gigs was the max?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    iMac G5s are limited to 2GB of RAM. PowerMacs can go up to 8GB.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    I have an older Powermac--733MHz G4. I don't do any one thing that is especially taxing of the system but I do have many applications open at once. Plus, the little work I do with graphics under Photoshop Junior (aka Elements) is slow. Printing photos has become excruciatingly slow. Not the actual printing but the spooling up, if Im using the right terminology. Would bumping my 512 MB to a Gigabyte speed things up noticably?

I'm going to sell it next spring but still, if this move would help, it would be worth the 6 mos. of beachball relief. Plus I might get a few bucks more for it.

By the way, I have heard that the 733 was disappointingly sluggish for its processor speed. I don't know if its true but I know it was offered in a big education promotion at the time, especially if purchased with the 17" LCD. They've been rock solid over the years so I can't complain.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tidelwav

Yes, i know it's obvious, but i wasn't expecting the speed increase that i got when i upgraded my iMac G5 from 512 RAM to 1.5 gigs. It's like holy smokes faster! I ordered another 1 gig stick to get it to 2 gigs because what the hell i might as well get the max huh?

Anyone thinking about getting an iMac should definitely consider the extra $$ for the increased RAM.

Maxing it out isn't that expensive, but it really makes me think that OS X could be a lot less bloated memory-wise. I can say this definitely for widgets, each one takes 15-20MB per instance (2 world clocks = 30MB). Everything just adds up.