Should I Be Interested In An Apple

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
All I use my computer for is word processing, email, the internet and gaming. Given this, is there any valid reason why I should be interested in switching to Apple? At least on the gaming front, I've been led to believe that the selection is rather spartan when compared to the PC. Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    if you want a better experience, get a mac.

if you don't care, then don't.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    i know i am asking for it but i tend to tell people to stick with PCs for gaming. That may change once the mactels are out.

On the other hand, if you are not a serious gamer, then the other benefits of the mac will probably outweigh the PC. I personally prefer Word 2004 for Mac over Word 2003 for PC any day. I also love Safari (though firefox isn't bad and makes a fine alternative).

EDIT: Although i am very, very, very, very far from a serious gamer, my experience and those of my gamer friends is that PC are better for games based on performance (both architecture and back-end used by the programers)
  • Reply 3 of 13
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    It is true that Macs are not nearly as good at gaming than PCs. If you are a pretty heavy gamer, a Mac honestly may not be for you.

If gaming isn't too big of a deal for you, a Mac is a very formidable option for a computer. Many Mac users are nearly intoxicated by how functional and efficient their computers are. From the style of a Mac's case to the ease of use of the iLife suite, Macs are great computers to own.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    How's the reliablity of Apple? I have several iPods, but I've had more trouble with them breaking and the scroll wheel failing than I have with any other piece of tech I own. I take very good care of all my electronics so I know it's nothing I'm doing. How are the systems then? Anyone run into a lot of problems with reliablity? I'm currently on my 4th iPod and 2nd mini iPod in a year (got them replaced through Apple).
  • Reply 5 of 13
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ElGuapo

How's the reliablity of Apple? I have several iPods, but I've had more trouble with them breaking and the scroll wheel failing than I have with any other piece of tech I own. I take very good care of all my electronics so I know it's nothing I'm doing. How are the systems then? Anyone run into a lot of problems with reliablity? I'm currently on my 4th iPod and 2nd mini iPod in a year (got them replaced through Apple).

I can't seem to find the thread but there was a report on the relative number of defective units of all the major computer companies, and Apple was quite low across the board compared to Dell, etc., if I recall correctly. Maybe someone else knows the right keywords to look for.

--B
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Quote:

How's the reliablity of Apple? I have several iPods, but I've had more trouble with them breaking and the scroll wheel failing than I have with any other piece of tech I own.

Wow, that's really interesting to hear. I've not heard any horror stories of iPods breaking, and certainly none of the scroll wheel failing. I'm sure it happens, but it's really not widespread.

Mac computers are very stable inside and out. They are constructed well and have a solid operating system. Now like any company, Apple has had its share of...let's say foul-ups that they had to deal with. Many iBooks had bad logic boards that would cause video problems. Some Powerbooks had issues with their LCD screens.

I guess the point of my story is that you can never guarantee that a gadget or computer isn't going to fail. I don't think you'll go wrong continuing to choose Apple products.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    I've heard that the Apple OS is very stable, much more so than windows. I was just a bit worried due to my ipod problems.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Quote:

I've heard that the Apple OS is very stable, much more so than windows. I was just a bit worried due to my ipod problems.

Like the above posters said, your ipod problems are very strange. I have never had a problem with my ipod. As far as my computer goes, my Powerbook 12" is surprisingly on a little banged, not bruised. I put my computer through a lot and it amaze me that it is still in one piece.

I help run my school computer lab and we have about 21 macs (16 emacs, 1 4g imac, 1g5 imac, 2 mac minis and 1 g4 powermac). They have all stood the test of time and malicious freshman trying to crash them.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    joeyjoey Posts: 236member
    Quote:

I'm currently on my 4th iPod and 2nd mini iPod in a year (got them replaced through Apple).

Something definately sounds wrong there. I've lost count of how many DAPs I've had (iPods and other brands) and I've never had one fail. To have 4 iPods and 2 Minis fail in a year doesn't make sense (unless you've been cursed or something). Did they all fail for similar reasons? Just wondering if there is something going on with your system or the environment that might be causing the problem.

So far as switching to Apple... I can't tell if you're looking to upgrade your current system and want to know if you should go with a Mac... or if you're just asking if there is a reason to switch from a PC to a Mac. If the PC you have now does everything you want it to do... I would suggest getting a low end Mac Mini just to get a feel for it. As everyone else has said... Mac isn't a gaming platform yet... but for everyday tasks, the Mini would run fine and it's not a big investment to try out the OS. My first Mac was an iBook about a year ago. I use it for basic business stuff (Word, Excel, etc)... instant messaging, browsing the web... nothing too intensive. The world would be a great place if the Mac OS were where Windows is today. If OS X was on 90% of the machines out there... and Microsoft came out with a competitor... say... Windows XP... they wouldn't have a chance at making it. XP is only as popular as it is because it's got it's nasty tenticles (double checked spelling there) around nearly every computer out there.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Joey

...it's nasty tenticles (double checked spelling there)...

• Reply 11 of 13
    Wow, 6 iPods total, huh?

I have a 4th generation (click wheel without color screen) iPod 20GB, a gold 4GB iPod mini, and a 512mb iPod shuffle, and have had no problems with them whatsoever.

As far as switching is concerned: I was in similar shoes about 1 year ago when deciding on whether or not I wanted to switch to Mac. I'll tell you that it is the best thing that has happened to my computer using experience. I'm a student so I obviously needed the word processing software, I used to play a little of Counter Strike and some driver racing games like Need for Speed on my Windows PC. Right now I don't have time to play anything (in college and play ice hockey), but there are some titles out there that might be interesting, although not nearly as many as there are for PCs... although this might change after the Intel switch. What really made me switch is the Apple store which I visited at first, and I never even considered a Mac in my life before. Then, I went and read Apple's easy-on-the-eyes and functional web site, expaining the general things about Macs. After that, there was no coming back: I sold my Gateway dull-looking notebook and got an iMac G5 and love it everyday I use it.

Here are some pages that might help you out and simplify your decision: (they certainly helped me)

http://www.apple.com/switch/

http://www.apple.com/macosx/applications/

http://www.apple.com/macosx/

I just read through these and started to understand how it all came together on the Mac.

Good luck with your decision
  • Reply 12 of 13
    I just switched from windows to Macs a couple months ago. I so fell in love with my iBook that i bought an iMac to go with it. I gave my windows PC away.

Switch.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jwink3101

i know i am asking for it but i tend to tell people to stick with PCs for gaming. That may change once the mactels are out.

True, it costs upwards of $2000 to get a Mac that a gamer would accept, that is a mac that has a vid card that is A. changable and B: not 3 years old.

gamers and MANY MANY other users also want a tower - NOT A LOCKED AND SEALED SLAB!!!! I see absolutely no reason that Apple could not give the market what is demanded - an upgradable expandable tower for under $1000 - If dell can do it for $499, then surely apple could do a single proc, PCIe, 512 upgradable to 4 gig, 80 gig HDD, NV 6*** or low end ATI X-series for under a grand.

We have to exist in what is - not what we want so I say Buy a 20 inch iMac and save up for an xbox 360 or PS3 for gaming