NO! iBook G4 800 megahertz ate a compact disc and won't spit it out!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I launched iTunes 5 and tried to load an audio CD into the drive. After it went in, the drive's laser seemed to move in very repetitive motions, trying to read the disc. Then it went silent. The disc is not read and I don't know what to do. Help.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    I'm assuming this is a slot-loading cd-drive. In any case, restart the computer. Right after you hear the "Bong" sound hold down the button below the trackpad (the mouse button). Hold the button until the drive spits out the cd, which should happen shortly after the apple logo pops up and the spinning wheel starts.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    nm
  • Reply 3 of 6
    If all else fails, you can start the system while holding command+option+o+f (for Open Firmware). At the prompt, type "eject cd" without the inverted commas. Good luck!
  • Reply 4 of 6
    aries 1baries 1b Posts: 1,009member
    My 12" 1GHZPB did that.

I was saved by an Apple RMA (Returned Material Authorization).

Sorry.

V/R,

Aries 1B
  • Reply 5 of 6
    The 800MHz iBook 12in I used to have did this to me once. The helpful chaps at my local Apple centre removed the disc for me, but when I got home I found the drive was damaged and had to send it away for repair. :s

Any joy with your own disc?
  • Reply 6 of 6
    happened to me, the disc was too thick i guess, i used a paperclip when the compuer was off, but still plugged in. and just made a hook, got it around the back of the cd, the cd drive started to try and spit it out, and i helped pull it along, crude, but easy (DON"T SCREW UP THE LASER!!!!)