homeworld 2 performance

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I am anticipating buying this title and so I downloaded the demo, I turned on all the graphics to the max and am pleased to say it ran very smooth on the 1.67 powerbook. seems excellent.

I played the original years ago on a pc and it is one of my favorite games ever, however the new one seems to advance you to the next level as soon as your mission is accomplished, does anyone know if you can disable this in the real game, part of the fun in the original was completing your mission and then organizing your ships, buliding new ones and retiring ones you think you may not need, plus harvesting any aditional asteroids in the area to prepare for the next level....it would be ashame if you could no longer do this.

if you know please write. thanks Scott

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    bka77bka77 Posts: 331member
    Hi,

I never tried that, but I think that's not possible in HW2. I always stopped attacking my main target shortly before it was finished and went exploring for new the map.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mercury7

it would be ashame if you could no longer do this.

On a 1.67 PB 128 VRAM HW2 is a little choppy only when the camera's swinging around a huge fucking battle.

If you find out how to prevent it from advancing to the next level, PLEASE POST! In HW2 it harvests all the remaining asteroids automatically for you when you complete the level, so that saves time. But you can't reorganize nor build extra ships either. There are a lot of HW2 forums on the net. I lost my bookmarks recently, but there are tons you can search.

--B
  • Reply 3 of 10
    thankz Bergz...I will definitely look and post back if I find anything
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Quote:

thankz Bergz...I will definitely look and post back if I find anything

Look up Homeworld 2 Mac on froogle.com. You can probably get it new for less than $30.

--B
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Thanks Bergz, are you aware of any mac sites where people sell used software or trade programs they no longer need?, I did see hw2 at comp usa the other day for 29 I think, I can probably drop by there and pick up a copy this week.

http://www.fotki.com/mercury7
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:

Thanks Bergz, are you aware of any mac sites where people sell used software or trade programs they no longer need?, I did see hw2 at comp usa the other day for 29 I think, I can probably drop by there and pick up a copy this week.

http://www.fotki.com/mercury7

There's a great used mac software site called ebay .

I don't know any others, but Froogle often finds the kind of obscure places you're talking about. Maybe if you do a search of AI you'll find posts talking about that kind of thing.

--B
  • Reply 7 of 10
    ebay used to prevent sales of used software...i hae not tried to sell any in a while though so maybe they changed...I think the whole piracy thing maybe the reason, it would be nice though to find a good trading site.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    HW2 ran perfectly on a stock 20" iMac, if that gives you little more buying hint. And no, you cant play after completing a mission.

But there are lots of varying maps, so its a good buy!
  • Reply 9 of 10
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    HW2 plays well on my G5 tower. With my ATI 9800 GPU I can even play it with my 20" ACD's native resolution. I'd think lesser machines should be able to play it fine, although I'd expect you may have to drop some graphic settings or the resolution.

I don't know how it'll play on G4 class macs. Perhaps when I return home from vacation I'll test it on our G4 PowerBook. (Notice that I'm on vacation and still rumormongering on AI. )
  • Reply 10 of 10
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Ironically, it is now nearly a year later and I find myself playing Homeworld 2 again. I finally started watching Battlestar Galactica and it got my Sci-Fi juices flowing. So here's an update since I happened on this thread again.

I'm using the same G5 tower but it now has an x800 graphics card. It might also have more RAM and a faster HD, but I can't say for sure about these upgrades since I don't remember exactly when I did them.

I'm still gauging the performance on the upgraded machine. I just started playing again and while I can run it with all the detail settings maxed, if I turn on FSAA and Antistropic Filtering using the ATI Displays control panel it will get choppy. Still using the 1680x1050 resolution of my 20" Cinema Display.

I'll play some more with the settings.

Also, I have a Mac Pro coming early next week and I'll report in on how the game runs in Rosetta.