iPhoto question

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
First of all, being new to Macs, i'm REALLY impressed by iPhoto and i'm using it for all my pictures now. I love how it collects pics from all of my cameras without needing their software and arranges all the pics nicely and neatly.

Ok, that's my plug.

Now my question.

As i'm browsing through all my pics, how do i flag pics so that later i can easily grab all the flagged pics and put them in a separate folder? Sorry if these seems like a dumb question, but i've read the Help files and can't seem to figure it out.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    You could give them a particular star rating and then make a smart playlist that rounds them all up. That's assuming you don't already have a rating system in place. The other option is to put a special word/description in their comments field and then round the up that way.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Yeah, i thought of the star rating, but that seems like a long way around a simple problem. They should just have a button that flags each pic you want as you're browsing through them.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    I do this in one of two ways. Sometimes I just drag the photos into an album as I am going through them (it sounds like you want to make an album out of them anyway so this may be your best bet). Sometimes I assign keywords to them (these act like flags).
  • Reply 4 of 6
    What is your criteria for flagging the pictures and why do you want to flag them? Since you say you are new to the Mac and iPhoto can I assume you have/had a lot of pictures on your other computer that you have/want to put in iPhoto? Below are my suggestions:

1. Make sure you can view film rolls because everytime you import a "film roll" is created.

2. You cannot put pictures directly in a folder, but you can put them in albums. Instead of flagging them now and getting them later just create the albums you want and drag the pictures to the album(s) as you go. After you are done then you can drag the albums to the folders. Once you get the pictures in the albums you can rearrange them to your liking.

3. If you already have pictures grouped on another computer there is a way to get them better organized from the start. Delete the pictures in iPhoto that are also on your other computer. Select the pictures you want flagged together and import those only so they become their own film roll which you can then rename. Repeat this process until all your pictures are in iPhoto. This is what I did when moving pictures from my Windows 2000 to my iBook because I did not get a digital camera until after I got my iBook. Before my iBook I had the photo lab put my pictures on disk and then I manually put them in folders and viewed the pictures in IE.

4. Another way to get pictures into the same film roll is to select the pictures and create a film roll from the selection.

5. I think the best way to organized your iPhoto library is to use keywords, comments, and title names.

5a - Keywords for type of event (Christmas, vacation, Mother's Day, etc.)

5b - comments for event specifics (John's 18th at Hooters)

5c - title will list everyone's name separated by a comma and/or the location (Mark, Joe C., Joe M., Dover Downs Raceway)

Currently, iPhoto does not have an easy way to have/manage multiple libraries but there is a shareware program that does and you can find it at

http://homepage.mac.com/bwebster/iphotolibrarymanager.html
  • Reply 5 of 6
    right click any picture and select "Show Info"

This opens a floating window where you can select "Keywords".

now, whenever you highlight any photo, you can go to that floating window and select any keyword (including a simple "checkmark") which can be used to sort them later.

In the lower left of the iPhoto window, you can click on a "key" icon, that brings up a selectable list of your keywords which you can use to sort/isolate photos.

The checkmark thing used to be much simpler... several version numbers ago, but that seems to be the best way to make it work now.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Just to share my recent experience, being new to the Mac world..

I selected several folders that had pictures within and dragged them to iPhoto thinking it would create albums from all of those folders. It had worked with a single folder, so I thought it should work with multiple.

Nope. It put all the pictures in a single album called "untitled" or something close to that.