Tivo drops DRM Macrovision bombshell

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/12.11/view.html?pg=3

Quote:

a TiVo lately? Sometime in the next few months, your machine will quietly download a patch that makes it respond to a new copy protection scheme from software maker Macrovision. The app puts restrictions on how long your DVR can save certain kinds of shows - so far, just pay-per-view and video-on-demand programs. It's the first time your TiVo won't let you watch whatever you want, whenever you want. We asked TiVo general counsel Matthew Zinn why he thinks Hollywood will settle for an inch when it can take a mile

Well, yet another blow for Fair Use

does THIS suck or what?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Gentlemen, start your Linux DVRs.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    TiVo is a Linux DVR.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    But golly, Wally, I thought Linux was all free and stuff, not like that evil evil MacOS X...

• Reply 4 of 16
    What does Linux being free and stuff have anything to do with a commercial company using DRM?
  • Reply 5 of 16
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    gene.. i think he was being ironic

i hope this will not disrupt Bittorrent releases of all the TV shows I love... I cant get any othem here in Europe...
  • Reply 6 of 16
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

Gentlemen, start your Linux DVRs.

Gah. This sucks. I sometimes leave crap on my Tivo for weeks before I get to it. Maybe I'll build me a linux box.

Harumph.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Screw content companies this is a total travesty. Forcing me to delete content that I pay to subscribe to isn't thwarting piracy.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

gene.. i think he was being ironic

Thank god your ironymeter isn't busted.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    I smell another crack coming!
  • Reply 11 of 16
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    I hope EyeTV doesn't follow suit.

I've grown rather fond of recording tons of stuff and burning to DVD at my leisure (the integration with Toast is great).

• Reply 12 of 16
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    No way. Just no way?

I was seriously planning on getting a TiVo soon.

No. Way.

Really?

fuck those fucking fuckers.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    DirectTv is dumping tivo, and using an in-house DVR. I have been waiting for the new "DirecTv whole house media center" (i.e. multi-room hdtv tivo) - hopefully it will not have this restriction.

Not that I ever watch pay-per-view anyway (which is the only place that this protection applies, according to the article), so it would not really impact me come to think of it.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Yes. Please read the Ars article before you decide if you are angry or not Its limited to PPW as I read it.

But it could easily be spread to normal broadcasts...
  • Reply 15 of 16
    ragexragex Posts: 126member
    Still sucks all the same.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Just don't buy a product in the first place that can be locked down like that.

I find that to be fair, Tivo and others that wish to limit the functionality of their devices mid-use should rent their devices instead of selling them.