What's the coolest thing you've done with your mac?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I know I'm lucky being a Mac user and all, but I feel that I am not using all of what this computer has to offer. I want to do more with it, but unfortunately I don't have many ideas.

What's the coolest thing you have ever done or created on your mac?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    I installed quicksilver. The rest of what I do is secondary. But now I can do more of it.

--B
  • Reply 2 of 14
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Hmmm.

Tie between this and this.

The second this isn't near as kewl, and the web pages aren't nearly complete enough, but it's certainly the more interesting of the two.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    The coolest thing I've done is use HandBrake to rip DVDs I have onto an external hard drive. I can get a 40min episode of 24 down to 250MB using H.264, it is near perfect DVD quality too.

Also, using QuickTime Pro I have scaled episodes of Futurama and Family Guy down to 10MB to fit and play on my phone.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    The coolest thing I've done: written my games (distributed all over America) and my master's degree thesis. I also have to give credit to Adobe's Design Suite and Microsoft Word for helping me do so.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Kickaha:

How DID facetop turn out? Will we ever see it somewhere outside a uni lab?
  • Reply 6 of 14
    We've got some things in the works, and that's really all I can say.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    fngfng Posts: 222member
    Kickaha have you had anyone interested in using it for telemedicine? Imagine a CT scanner on wheels where the local MD and a remote expert radiologist can talk of the results. 8)
  • Reply 8 of 14
    There has been... some interest in that area.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    finally getting "the trance sound" that i have been chasing since 1996-1998. i made two tracks that made me happy and i finally found this "trance music sound" that's created purely in-computer. starting from some pretty crappy stuff on cakewalk-and-creative-awe32-in-windows98, culminating to a really cool track made on iBook g4 933mhz 256mb of ram Mac Os 10.3.9
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ferali

What's the coolest thing you have ever done or created on your mac?

It's illegal in most states... and considered un-natural in others... that's all I'm gonna say. 8)
  • Reply 12 of 14
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself

It's illegal in most states... and considered un-natural in others... that's all I'm gonna say. 8)

EWWW...that is not what the RJ-45 jack is for!!! If it doesn't fit, DONT FORCE IT!
  • Reply 13 of 14
    mmmm.... love that iBook with all that ports

mmm.... ports....
  • Reply 14 of 14
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    taken them apart, had a look how they work, upgraded bunch of components inside, put them back together, and installed a bunch of nice applications on the server on 'em.