Apple offers me new iMac

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
What a great corporation . My iMac has been down 3 times , Midplane assembly, logic board and last week my hd packed it in. I called Apple Computer Canada told them the history and said I would not be using this revA iMac again. Robyn the pleasant customer relations person, offered to ship a brand new iMac with all of my configurations (extra memory etc.) free. NO Arguments, No hassle, no waiting on hold or voice mail. What a pleasant experience. My 20 inch iMac is almost a year old too

Now the extra mile

I said that I was looking to buy a powermac but wanted to wait till after the Paris expo on the 20 of Sept. Robyn said that the new iMac purchase price fully configured could be used against my purchase of the powermac instead, if I wanted, and they would hold off shipping till after the 20th or until they heard from me...

No managers, no suits to talk to, just the customer rep on the phone. I am as impressed with apple service as I am with their products. I hope I will never have to sell my Apple stock.

Oh yeah ....I ordered the dual 2.7GHz Powermac and a 30 inch screen.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    fngfng Posts: 222member
    Must be a Canadian thing.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Not the first time I've heard of such, by a long shot.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Since your iMac has been down 3 times, and still not working, it's considered to be a "lemon". I don't know what its called under Canadian law, but a piece of equipment that fails to work after 3 repairs is considered a "lemon" under US law, and as such, it should be exchanged for a new one, or the entire amount paid to acquire that piece of equipment should be refunded.

So, no, they're not a "great corporation" just because they exchanged a lemon. They're just a law abiding corporation. Though we've heard of instances when they haven't done that either.

But yes, congrats on your new iMac. Hopefully this time they give you a machine that doesn't fail 3 times.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Of course by *law* they only have to replace like with like.

Holding the offer until he decides, and letting him apply it to another item, is purely them being nice.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Holding the offer until he decides, and letting him apply it to another item, is purely them being nice.

Of course, but that's how a business should be run. And this is precisely why they have a good reputation in the computer industry with regards to repairs and such.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    nijiniji Posts: 288member
    snipe: what a great story.

with customer service: for any customer service to be good, they need great customers.

i think this story says as much about you, as it does about apple.

thanks for sharing it.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by fng

Must be a Canadian thing.

Must be eh?
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Quote:

What a pleasant experience...

...I am as impressed with apple service as I am with their products.

Considering that your Apple product had so many problems, I'm not sure why you're singing praises?! After complete failure of their product, the least Apple could do is offer you a replacement and promise that the new one will be better!

What makes you think that the new one is going to be any better?
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by skatman

Considering that your Apple product had so many problems, I'm not sure why you're singing praises?! After complete failure of their product, the least Apple could do is offer you a replacement and promise that the new one will be better!

What makes you think that the new one is going to be any better?

Because I have been using their products since the Apple II and this is the first time I have had this kind of trouble. The problems with the rev A iMac has been been noted elsewhere. Apple screwed up. But so what? Every company and individual does. My point is that most companies and/or their representatives are in denial and try to put the customer on the defensive. Apple commiserated with me and went OUT OF THEIR WAY to please me, a customer. When was the last time a multibillion dollar corporation did this for you?
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Quote:

When was the last time a multibillion dollar corporation did this for you?

Well... I prefer to do my research before purchase. If I buy a computer it would be made in USA or in Japan. That way I don't have to deal with such nightmares. These are quite common not only with Apple, but with any company who outsources hardware to south asian sweatshops such as Compal, Quanta, BenQ and such. So far so good.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    ibuzzibuzz Posts: 135member
    Snipe: glad thing worked out for you. Things didn't go that well for me. I too have a revA iMac. 1st repair was an invertor. 2nd repair was the logic board. 3rd repair was the HD. I asked them ro replace mine. No dice. They tried to make me feel like it was my fault. "After all it's almost a year old" Never mind that it started acting up 2 months after I got it. I'm sorry I switched. I have spent much more time trouble shooting and reinstalling the OS than I ever did fighting viruses.

Can anyone give the citation on US law that specifies 3 strikes and it's a lemon. Still haven't worked all the bugs out of this thing, but I'm tired of screwing with it. I really need to get some work done.,

didn't mean to power whine, just trying to let off steam
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Sorry your iMac's been giving you trouble.

My Rev A 20" G5 gets a workout 8 - 10hrs a day and has never caused me any grief. It still turns my head when I walk by, even if it's off!

It's the best (quietest, fastest, least trouble, best looking) computer I've ever used.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ibuzz

Can anyone give the citation on US law that specifies 3 strikes and it's a lemon. Still haven't worked all the bugs out of this thing, but I'm tired of screwing with it. I really need to get some work done.,

didn't mean to power whine, just trying to let off steam

There isn't a national law.

But Apple will help. You need to contact Apple Executive Relations.

Send a thorough, calm, and polite email to

[email protected]

I have seen this work many many times.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Agreed. Sometimes the speed with which things get resolved is stunning when using that route. I know someone who sent an email regarding a disastrous repair issue, and less than 2 hours later received a phone call from Apple taking care of it. That's highly unusual, but it tends to get attention.