improving memory question

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have an imac 20' I actually have 2 but this is the 1.8, bought it 6or7 months ago.

I have been working with Photoshop a lot. I keep slowing down because of memory shortage or unable to complete task becuase of it. My question is What do I need to max out this thing with memory I am no computer guru So this memory confuses me.

Also is it easy to add the 2. GHZ thingamujig?

this is the info copied:

Machine NametiMac G5

Machine ModeltPowerMac8,1

CPU TypetPowerPC G5 (3.0)

Number Of CPUst1

CPU Speedt1.8 GHz

L2 Cache (per CPU)t512 KB

Memoryt768 MB

Bus Speedt600 MHz

Boot ROM Versiont5.2.2f4

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    I upgraded from 512 to 1.5 gigs of RAM and the difference was astonishing. I also work with Photoshop and iPhoto a lot and have about 12,000 pics in iPhoto. With 512, it was spinning ball all the time. With 1.5, i haven't seen that ball for some time now.

It is easy to install. Real easy. The instructions are in your iMac manual. Just have a screwdriver available.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    it sounds dumb but could someone tell me what I need to the max
  • Reply 3 of 6
    2 gigs is the max you can put in there.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    If I get /install 2G's will I lose everything in here now? How do i transfer everything?
  • Reply 5 of 6
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iNAP

If I get /install 2G's will I lose everything in here now? How do i transfer everything?

You're confusing RAM with your Hard Drive. Your Hard Drive has all of your files stored on it. It's got a lot more than 2 gigs.

RAM is the short-term memory that allows you to run programs, and if you have more, then you can run them faster.

--B
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by bergz

You're confusing RAM with your Hard Drive. Your Hard Drive has all of your files stored on it. It's got a lot more than 2 gigs.

RAM is the short-term memory that allows you to run programs, and if you have more, then you can run them faster.

--B

Oh OK your right I was confusing the 2 .......thank you.