Nintendo Revolution

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
So Nintendo announced their new controller this evening. In one hand one holds a space-and-direction aware remote control type device. Motion is detected by the console, so you can point at things on the screen or swing it to swing a sword for example. Additional attachments can also be used, like a traditional analog stick. In that setup, imagine using the analog stick to move your character and the "remote" to look around and shoot... at the same time!

Photo

The basics

Info at IGN

I'm excited and see this as actually something revolutionary -- a new way to interact with video games. I know Nintendo will do well with their games and I'm excited to see what 3rd part developers create!

Your thoughts?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    I already had one foot through Nintendo's door after E3, and now I'm ready to dive in head first. I haven't been this excited for a new console since the original PlayStation in '96. I am so glad Nintendo is distancing itself from the 800 pound gorillas. Viva la revolution!

Edit: Check out this quicktime movie.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    My thoughts are thus:

1 - Nintendo is insane.

2 - When can I pre-order?
  • Reply 3 of 9
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I like the idea, but not the implementation. Controller A looks too much like a TV remote; the remote-remote-joystick control add-on looks stupid.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Also, the Revolution should be compatible with existing Game Cube games and accessories. Meaning, if you want a traditional controller, just plug one in.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:

Also, the Revolution should be compatible with existing Game Cube games and accessories. Meaning, if you want a traditional controller, just plug one in.

It is. There are four gamecube controller ports and two gamecube meory cards located under a flap on the top on the console.

Its one of the photos in this gallery

stu
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

I like the idea, but not the implementation. Controller A looks too much like a TV remote; the remote-remote-joystick control add-on looks stupid.

It will be amazing despite what you think of it.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    I love that mock-up, it looks like the most perfect video game controller ever made. Except one thing. It doubles the GC controller's greatest flaw... the Z button!

Put the two Z buttons on the back of the handles where they belong, then you have perfection!
  • Reply 9 of 9
    It is only IGN's mockup, and it should be noted they usually do a hatchet job of mockups. I trust the actual controller will be much more well crafted.