Converting avi to quicktime? Converting .ram to .mp3?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
hey all, got some problems.

Firstly, when i bought this second-hand computer of mine, on the desktop was a movie (pirated no doubt). The whole thing is in .avi format (which i cant get to play).

I never really planned on seeing this film, but as it's right here infront of me, i'd like to try.

How can i convert it to .mpg or .mov? thanks

also, i've legally downloaded several old DJ Mixes but they're in ".ram" format, how can i convert this to .mp3?

thank you

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by spiers69

hey all, got some problems.

Firstly, when i bought this second-hand computer of mine, on the desktop was a movie (pirated no doubt). The whole thing is in .avi format (which i cant get to play).

I never really planned on seeing this film, but as it's right here infront of me, i'd like to try.

How can i convert it to .mpg or .mov? thanks

also, i've legally downloaded several old DJ Mixes but they're in ".ram" format, how can i convert this to .mp3?

thank you

AVI is a wrapper for several kinds of video. You can look on VersionTracker for MPlayer or VLC. Some AVI just won't play on a Mac at all.

There is a plugin for QuickTime but I don't recommend it and it costs $10 I think.

As far as .ram files, play those with RealPlayer (www.real.com). I don't know of any way to convert them to mp3 except the Audio Hijack type of utility.