New Mac Owner! Windows plugin question!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hey everyone, I just bought a powerbook off of ebay and I am loving it! Got a great deal and already disasembled it to replace the 40 gig 4200 HD to a 60 gig 5200 HD that I had in a firewire box.

Anyway question at hand. I'm taking this math class online and unfortunately it looks like i'm going to have to use my pc for this! Does anyone have a workaround besides using Virtual PC, maybe a version of wine for OS X? Here's the plugin and installation requirments for the online class:

Custom Installer

Please install the following required plug-ins and players and review your system settings.

\tMathXL® Player

\tRequired ActiveX control for doing practice exercises, homework, and tests.

The MathXL Player requires Microsoft Windows and Internet Explorer 6.0.

\tTestGen® Plug-in

\tSome instructors may require this plug-in for tests. Installation is recommended.

Download the TestGen plug-in executable for Windows XP/2000 for installation offline.

Download the TestGen plug-in executable for Windows 98/ME for installation offline.

\tApple® QuickTime® Player

\tYou need QuickTime to play audio and video content

\tMacromedia® Flash® Player

\tYou need the Flash Player to view animations, and, in some courses, the multimedia textbook.

\tAdobe® Reader®

\tYou need Reader to view Acrobat files, including, in some courses, the multimedia textbook.

\tAdjust screen resolution

\tThe required monitor resolution is 1024 x 768 or higher.

Your current resolution is 1280 x 1024.

\tAdjust text size

\tFor best display, adjust your browser's text size to match the Optimal size below.

\tCurrent size

\tThe quick brown fox jumps lightly over the lazy dog.

\tOptimal size

\t

\tDisable pop-up blockers

\tPlease make sure that all pop-up blockers are disabled.

\tEnable cookies

\tPlease make sure that cookies are allowed from mathxl.com.

\tClose all browser windows

\tAfter installing any new players or plug-ins, you must exit your Internet browser by closing all browser windows. Then start your browser again and log back into your course.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Doug

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    regreg Posts: 832member
    It all depends on the course that you are taking. Look at MyMathLab. Some of the courses are supported for the Mac OS. TestGen is Mac supported. The rest of the items are all Mac supported. Good luck on your courses.

reg
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:

Originally posted by dougc

Hey everyone, I just bought a powerbook off of ebay and I am loving it! Got a great deal and already disasembled it to replace the 40 gig 4200 HD to a 60 gig 5200 HD that I had in a firewire box.

Anyway question at hand. I'm taking this math class online and unfortunately it looks like i'm going to have to use my pc for this! Does anyone have a workaround besides using Virtual PC, maybe a version of wine for OS X? Here's the plugin and installation requirments for the online class:

Custom Installer

Please install the following required plug-ins and players and review your system settings.

\tMathXL® Player

[snip]

\tClose all browser windows

\tAfter installing any new players or plug-ins, you must exit your Internet browser by closing all browser windows. Then start your browser again and log back into your course.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Doug

This is a problem.

I am hopping that once the Intel Macs arrive that VMware will have their virtual machine software available for the Mac. I have it on the PC and it's great for running different versions of Windows/Linux on either a Windows box or Linux. Supporting the Intel Macs would be a wise decision for them as lot of us are stuck with PC only supported apps would love to be able to run them on the Mac.

I work in the real estate field and *everything* is geared for MS IE. Most companies are very lazy in the regard. Instead of working to make their web apps universal, they just support the MS platform, because it's easy to program for because of all the tools MS has available. They don't look at the big picture. Also, if you use alternative browsers on you PC, your still out of luck too.

-Scott