Hell has frozen! Entourage finally works in Exchange!

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Office 2004 SP2

Public folders- you can actually read a shared calendar.

GAL- the entire GAL is available.

Still slower than mud, but functional!

Will wonders never cease?? It only took 4-1/2 years, but Microsoft finally gave us what we have been clammoring for.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    cool. I am hoping for some speed improvments with SP2. It is DLing now.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jwink3101

cool. I am hoping for some speed improvments with SP2. It is DLing now.

You'll see some. It can't touch Outlook on Windows, but it is bearable so far. If you haven't used it for a while and haven't synced recently, it will take a while to populate items. But it is worth it just to see appointments in my inbox, contacts and calendars in public folders and the entire GAL. Mail 2.0 is a bit faster I think, but it now is bested in features by Entourage.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    No such luck here...

Granted, my company is JUST migrating to Exchange 2003, so many things are in limbo. I can connect through Entourage, access e-mail, my calendar, my contacts (as they were in my personal address book on an Outlook Client) etc. I can 'see' the GAL groups in the contacts tab, but any attempt to access them gives me an error; it claims that the account name (just the name I put at the top) is wrong.

I've been using Apple Mail, iCal etc., and would probably return to them were it not for the fact that I can't connect from those programs at all since the Exchange update.

Here's hoping I can figure out how to make this work...My company treats Mac users like me like crap.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    I know the Windows version of Office will always have an advantage over the Mac version when it comes to connecting to server software (Exchange, SQL Server) since it runs on Windows, but does it seem like Microsoft is getting the feeling that more people are using Macs so they are putting more effort into getting the Mac version of Office on par with the Windows version?

Not to change the subject, but would any of you have use for Access on the Mac?
  • Reply 5 of 6
    ragexragex Posts: 126member
    Yes, for parity if nothing else. It would serve as another reason to give Apple a solid look, since both versions of Office on either platform are pretty much equal.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    To Sport73:

I have no problems with accessing Exchange 2003 as you seem to have. I would double-check the settings for LDAP specifically in your Accounts setup.

To troberts:

I actually have found newer/not necessarily better however, features in Office 2004 for Mac versus Office 2003 for Windows. I think the Mac Business Unit writes much better software than the Office team on the Windows side of things.