Question about Cubase

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Ok, I got somebody who has come to me wanting to get a new system to do audio recording with. He is on a 1 GHz PC right now and works primarily with Cubase VST/32 5. He said that it almost has to be a laptop, but he thought he could get the performance of desktops on a laptop. He's willing to spend about $3000 and wants to use it for college, hence why he wants the portability. My question is regarding Cubase, he says he's worried about going Mac because he has tons of plug-ins. Now will he be able to use all his plug-ins on the Mac? I told him I could get him Cubase 5.1 if he went with a Mac. He knows a lot of artists use Macs and said "But they all use laptops". I showed him the TiBook and could get him interested in one. Also wondering whether to tell him if he DOES go with a Mac laptop, to wait for new models because I think we will probably see them in March. Main thing is can he use his plugins?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    The problem with digital audio recording on a laptop is hard drive speed. You can get a fast CPU on a laptop but the hard drives are never as fast.

Many musicians use a Powerbook (or even an iBook now) for live performance, or for demo-level home studio recording, but I don't think they're a good substitute for multi-tracking in the studio. With a 4200 or MAYBE 5400 RPM hard drive you'll be really limited as to how many tracks of digital audio you can run.

Of course, if you got a Mac, you could easily hook up a fast Firewire hard drive externally and that would give you some better speed.

As for his Windows VST plugins running on Mac Cubase, most plugins are just one or the other, but some of them come with the Mac and PC versions on the same disk. For example, I have the Waves Native Power Pack for Windows, and it includes the Mac versions on the same CD-Rom as the Windows versions. This was good for me, because I bought them when I was a Windows audio guy, and I can still use them now that I've switched my audio work over to my Powermac.

If the guys has warezed a bunch of Windows versions of plugins, he's SOL as far as them running on the Mac. Then again, if he has no qualms about pirating software why can't he just Hotline a ton of mac warez plugins?

[ 02-05-2002: Message edited by: sizzle chest ]</p>