Intel chipset shortage: Do we care?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/09...pset_shortage/

Will this create trouble for Apple? Particularly the "sold out of" notebook chipsets part?

Or will Apple do their own chipsets?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Well doesn't really matter much since the guidance Intel has given sees it being rectified in the first half of 2006, which is when Apple would be moving anyway.

I seriously doubt Apple will use anything other than standard motherboards. They may try to encourage Intel's development though.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Maybe we should be concerned. After all, whoever Apple chooses as their chip supplier suddenly seems to have difficulty delivering parts. If you suddenly start hearing stories like "Intel delays release of 65nm processors", "Intel unable to deliver on dual-core promises", etc., you'll know that the Apple Whammy has got them!
  • Reply 3 of 4
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubist

If you suddenly start hearing stories like "Intel delays release of 65nm processors", "Intel unable to deliver on dual-core promises", etc., you'll know that the Apple Whammy has got them!

I would not be at all surprised , they have already some good previous experience in that. They almost devastated Motorola, and made IBM go Microsoft .
  • Reply 4 of 4
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:

Originally posted by WelshDog

Will this create trouble for Apple? Particularly the "sold out of" notebook chipsets part?

The Apple-Curse [TM]. It never fails. I am starting to believe that AMD, IBM and FreeScale bribed Apple to turn to intel as their main CPU and chipset supplier for the sole reason to bring the death spell over their business.

No wonder it's the intel915, the very same chipset Apple uses in its developer machines, which is in short supply *bangs head on table*.