OS9.2 vs OS9.1

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Would someone please explain to me the advantages of OS9.2 over OS9.1 for someone that does not use OS X?

I tried to use OS9.2 when it first came out and my computer went completely crazy. nothing worked, and i eventaully had to go back to 9.1 do that i could get some work done. is there any reason that i should try 9.2 again?

And while I'm asking questions, how is it possible that my Finder keeps crashing, but the other running apps are unaffected? i can still read/write. the only thing that is different is that i can quit them, but when there is only one app left running t can't quit it. i was under the impression that when the finder went you were SOL.

[ 02-05-2002: Message edited by: Stroszek ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    I recently upgraded to 9.2 (yes, I'm a little behind the times) and the one real improvement that I noticed (being non-technical) is that my iMac wakes up from sleep mode dramatically faster, which is nice. And they eliminated that annoying start-up sound when you power up from sleep mode.

Okay - probably not the dramatic performance gain that you wanted but for a non-technical user, that's the one thing that jumped out at me.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    [quote]Originally posted by Stroszek:

<strong>Would someone please explain to me the advantages of OS9.2 over OS9.1 for someone that does not use OS X?

I tried to use OS9.2 when it first came out and my computer went completely crazy. nothing worked, and i eventaully had to go back to 9.1 do that i could get some work done. is there any reason that i should try 9.2 again?

And while I'm asking questions, how is it possible that my Finder keeps crashing, but the other running apps are unaffected? i can still read/write. the only thing that is different is that i can quit them, but when there is only one app left running t can't quit it. i was under the impression that when the finder went you were SOL.

[ 02-05-2002: Message edited by: Stroszek ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

by the advice of Apple himself you have no reason to upgrade to mac os 9,2 if you don't use mac os X.

mac os 9,2 is only better in classic environnement (better integration between the both)
  • Reply 3 of 4
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Now you tell me!

I tried to get advice before upgrading my Cube 500 from 9.1 to 9.2, now 9.2.2 I think and it has been giving me fits ever since with the Cinema Display seemingly getting the start up hiccups. :eek:

I've yet to get to X because I wanted a nice stable classic environment, that was the theory, but the screen freezes on occassion and I get a time and again kind of streaking when I drag a jpeg file across the screen. Only thing to to do is shutdown (have to poweroff) and then restart.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    [quote]Originally posted by Cubit:

<strong>Now you tell me!

I tried to get advice before upgrading my Cube 500 from 9.1 to 9.2, now 9.2.2 I think and it has been giving me fits ever since with the Cinema Display seemingly getting the start up hiccups. :eek:

I've yet to get to X because I wanted a nice stable classic environment, that was the theory, but the screen freezes on occassion and I get a time and again kind of streaking when I drag a jpeg file across the screen. Only thing to to do is shutdown (have to poweroff) and then restart. </strong><hr></blockquote>

yeah. those were more or less the problems that i had before i went back to 9.1. everything's worked normally since. (but it was a pain in the a** to get it healthy again.)