new Ipod nano broke all my earphone and speaker. I'm not sure what I need to do.

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
nothing

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    nothing
  • Reply 2 of 16
    What you need to do is stop panicing and stop throwing away perfectly good earphones! If the problem is occurring with the left channel of all the earphones and speakers you plug into it, the problem is with the nano. Something's interfering with the signal in the left channel. It's probably pretty minor and won't take long to fix. Presumably, you are covered by warranty. Take it to your nearest Apple Store, service centre or whatever with the receipt and get it fixed like Apple support said.

They won't usually replace faulty items in the first instance. I think there's some rule where they give you a new one if you have to take it in for repair 3 times while it's under warranty. You could get back to support, ask to speak to a higher up and see if they'll give you a new one. Maybe better to just take it in and if they say it'll take more than a day or two to fix then see if they'll swap it for a new one.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Just to be certain: Have you used your earphones with other devices (such as your computer) after using them with the nano? If you do and they still work fine, it's DEFINITELY not your earphones. I agree, stop throwing them away!
  • Reply 4 of 16
    I tested it with computer and cd player... all my earphones and speaker have same problem. noise from left channel.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Are you sure you didn't magnetize the left side of your head or something?!?

I don't think I've ever heard of such a thing. Not saying it's not happening, just that I can't, off the top of my head, think of a reason why that would happen.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    I sold some speakers to a guy once, and he also bought a new amp at the same time from somebody else. He hooked them up, noticed that my speakers had blown drivers, hooked a different set up, and blew those drivers too - he had a bad amp.

What I am saying is that if you have an iPod nano that wrecks every set of headphones that you plug into it, then you probably have a output stage in the nano that outputs a bad voltage or something - stop plugging headphones into it and take it back. If the world was just, then Apple would pay for your headphones, but I doubt that will happen.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    I'm gonna call apple customer relation?? tomorrow.

I already sent my earphone to shure tech support and I'm gonna send studio

pro4 to fix it to .. I think it will be free to fix. so.. if they ask money for fix it I will ask to apple or go tech support center and show them how it blow every earphone and speaker.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    "Are you sure you didn't magnetize the left side of your head or something?!?

I don't think I've ever heard of such a thing. Not saying it's not happening, just that I can't, off the top of my head, think of a reason why that would happen."

it is not just earphones... speakers too...
  • Reply 9 of 16
    fngfng Posts: 222member
    Of course you realize that Apple's not going to pay for damage to other components. Even if you can show the Nano was 100% at fault ... Apple will not pay for it.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    The same thing happened to me. 4 times! and stupid as I am I only understood it was the ipod the 4th time.

I realized just now because the first times were distanced in time.

this time it took 3 days.

each time, I now remember it was the left speaker. it just doesn't give any sound anymore (have to put max volume to get something barely audible).

and I norally listen at very low volume (my ears are my job)

total lost more than US300...

for the record I bought mine in apple store singapore SN Ym5383s2szc.

pissed off at apple and at my inatention.

will post the same on apple discussion forums.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    I used to have a Zen Micro and this happened to me. I sent in the unit and i recieved a new one. Before i sent it in, i would wrap the headphone cord around the Zen and it would work because i wedged the jack against the wall of the reciever.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    you must understand: the headphone is not working anymore, in any other equipment.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Even better.

I just a brand new iPod (with its pair of white ear bubs).

On the first use the left driver is dead (I don't know whether it was dead before I put it in the iPod jack).
  • Reply 14 of 16
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

I sold some speakers to a guy once, and he also bought a new amp at the same time from somebody else. He hooked them up, noticed that my speakers had blown drivers, hooked a different set up, and blew those drivers too - he had a bad amp.

What I am saying is that if you have an iPod nano that wrecks every set of headphones that you plug into it, then you probably have a output stage in the nano that outputs a bad voltage or something - stop plugging headphones into it and take it back. If the world was just, then Apple would pay for your headphones, but I doubt that will happen.

That sounds plausible, but I'm really puzzled by his report that he also has a left speaker that bit it. I can't imagine that a Nano could produce the current to harm a speaker, no matter how screwed up the output stage voltages might be.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

That sounds plausible, but I'm really puzzled by his report that he also has a left speaker that bit it. I can't imagine that a Nano could produce the current to harm a speaker, no matter how screwed up the output stage voltages might be.

"speaker" as in "headphone speaker".
  • Reply 16 of 16
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by karlie View Post

"speaker" as in "headphone speaker".

Nope. The OP specifically mentions his left M-Audio Studio Pro is having problems, which is a monitor speaker.