Wait for a mini?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Hi, I'm new here, and just have a quick question. I'm a PC user; I'm not in the market for a replacement computer, but I just want to purchase a Mini as an additional computer. I'm a web developer and dabble in graphic design and my fiance has ProTools that he uses to lay down and arrange test tracks for his band (this isn't important information, but more of a "we use certain software but not so heavily that we would need more than a Mini").

Anyway, we both have our own computers but we'd like to purchase a separate one solely for the above purposes, for his band to use to help burn CDs without tying up one of our personal computers, etc. So I thought getting a Mini might be nice instead of just some equally priced junk from Dell. Plus I'm an equal-opportunity computer owner and just kind of want a Mac just to have I didn't really want to wait until June to buy one, but I suppose I would wait if it would hold some benefit for us. So I guess that's what I'm asking - given the use of the computer, the fact that we're both PC users and the fact that our other computers are PCs, will waiting until the minis have Intel processors provide us with any benefits whatsoever...be it cost-wise, cost-benefit-wise, compatability-wise, or otherwise?

Thanks for any advice!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    There is absolutely no point in waiting for the transition to Intel.

That being said, with rumours abound that the Mac mini will be updated soon (read: next few days, possibly), if you can, you might want to wait for a week or two before getting one (if you can wait).
  • Reply 2 of 8
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Agreed on waiting for the next bump, if you can.

OTOH, the Intel chip *might* get you the ability to run Windows applications within WINE, but that is *complete* speculation at the moment. It may not happen quickly, or easily. If you have the PC boxen already, and are going to keep them, I'd say the PPC based mini should do you just fine as a taste-test.

And then you can go all Mac after the Intel transition.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    hxc04hxc04 Posts: 145member
    I would not wait for the Intel next year, but totally wait for the update by the end of the week. Mini's are good, small computers that should work good for your situation.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    ha, i knew someone would go there. i will probably never be an all-mac girl...I can't help it! But I'm happy and excited to be starting a bi-platform family

Thanks for the advice everyone. I was in no huge rush, like I had to buy it tomorrow so I'm definitely in for holding out another couple weeks to see what the changes bring...I just was hoping that there wouldn't be anything I was missing out on by not waiting. The only thing I forgot to ask about that I was concerned with is support and software for the future. Not that I expect to be using a $500-600 computer for the next 10 years, but once the Intels emerge, will the software creation and support be focused on them? Would I be buying something that would be immediately antiquated, or should I expect to see the same availability of these things than if the change wasn't going to happen?
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by rachnr

ha, i knew someone would go there. i will probably never be an all-mac girl...I can't help it! But I'm happy and excited to be starting a bi-platform family

Thanks for the advice everyone. I was in no huge rush, like I had to buy it tomorrow so I'm definitely in for holding out another couple weeks to see what the changes bring...I just was hoping that there wouldn't be anything I was missing out on by not waiting. The only thing I forgot to ask about that I was concerned with is support and software for the future. Not that I expect to be using a $500-600 computer for the next 10 years, but once the Intels emerge, will the software creation and support be focused on them? Would I be buying something that would be immediately antiquated, or should I expect to see the same availability of these things than if the change wasn't going to happen?

You will still be able to get software for some time to come - there are a lot of PPC users who cannot just be abandoned by Apple. The great thing about the mini is that you can hold onto it for a year, sell it on eBay for decent money and buy an Intel mac if you like it and want to stick with Apple.

I have always been an Apple user, but when I decided to go from laptop to desktop last month, I got a 20" display and a mac mini, with the intention of upgrading the mac mini when the intels come out. I don't need huge power so it does fine for just now - I think this might be a sensible approach for you too.

Oh ye, and hold out for the speed bump - it seems quite believable.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    The software situation isn't anything to be worrying about for a few years, 3-5 at least.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    i'd say definitely wait a couple of weeks to see if the imminent speedbump rumor pans out, and by all means make sure you get a model equipped with a 5,400 RPM drive if you'll be doing anything audio-related (unless you plan on updating the internal drive yourself or are going to use an external drive for recording).

have fun with your mini!
  • Reply 8 of 8
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by rachnr

[B]ha, i knew someone would go there. i will probably never be an all-mac girl...I can't help it! But I'm happy and excited to be starting a bi-platform family

Thanks for the advice everyone. I was in no huge rush, like I had to buy it tomorrow so I'm definitely in for holding out another couple weeks to see what the changes bring...

I'm guessing you've seen the minis are shipping updates..? Good buying!