no statview to OS X - time to go back to os 9?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
from <a href="http://www.statview.com/"; target="_blank">http://www.statview.com/</a>; you will find that statview is not coming to os x, this means classic for ever. does anyone have any suggestions because this is really bad news for apple and os x - particularly for education and university sales.

i am pissed.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    I've never used or heard of StatView. But is it really that great? And do a lot of people really use it? If so, you'd think StatView Software would be compelled to port it to OS X. But if I'm wrong, and it really is all that, I'm sure some enterprising Cocoa programmer (maybe myself) will write a nice OS X replacement. Can't be that hard to write. It's just a damn statistics package...
  • Reply 2 of 5
    I didn't read the info on Statview that closely, but it's a statistics package, yes?

Why not try <a href="http://www.stata.com/"; target="_blank">Stata</a>?

It's very powerful, it's been Carbonized since April or so, and it's easy to use. It is a little less point-and-click-y than, say, SPSS, but if you understand the statistics it all makes sense.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Really too bad. This is an old classic on the Mac - the best basic stats package for a long time.

But it looks like it's not just OS X - it looks like it's dying completely.

[quote]All technical support for StatView will be discontinued on December 31, 2003. <hr></blockquote>
  • Reply 4 of 5
    hi all,

ok, i can say the following: i don't do heavy statistics but statview is an excellent programme and it runs nicely in classic though. i hope they are not discontinuing it. as for spss it should come out "early 2002" in a carbon-version, but no news yet.

i haven't really checked out stat yet, it looks like it is more a command-based programme and not a GUI-programme which makes it difficult for me. I tried (Graphpad) Instat 3 and although it can only take 26 columns and 1000 rows does everything I need. Guess I will have to make some arrangements for the extra columns that I need.

Brian: if you feel like writing a statistical programme, feel extremely welcome to do so, I just might buy it from you instead...
  • Reply 5 of 5
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Translation for 'not moving to OS X' is 'dropping Mac support' in my book. If it's true that they are indeed do that (not moving to X) then eff-em and move on since they don't deserve your business. OS X isn't going away folks and the choice to stay with 9 will only be with us for just so long.

I'd love for the G5 to be an OS X **ONLY** box (as in no classic support at all - even with X).

If the CPU is as kick-a$$ as people say this will give new 3rd party developers a chance to come out with apps under X that make the 9 stuff look like child's play.

I doubt Apple has the testicular fortitude to do it but it sure would light a fire under the 'holdouts'.

Dave