Question about future ibooks.

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Hi, I am fairly new to the apple world. I am a University student and have used windows machines as long as I can remember. It wasn't until recently that I had the pleasure of working with macs. Anyway, I have to get a laptop and honestly the options from apple are pretty disappointing. I currently work with 20" IMacs and wish that I had the option of getting one of those. The displays on the ibooks and powerbooks are some of the worst I've ever seen, especially in their price range and you can get so much more value from a windows based machine for the same price. I'm rambling, I guess my question is, has anyone heard of upgrades to either line of laptops. Preferrably a widescreen option with higher resolution, or maybe even a price drop. And are the ibooks worth the money.

Thanks

Bryan

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Well the 15" and 17" PB's have terrific screens. I'm not sure what you are talking about there.

The 12" iBook and PB both have the same screen and, for a 12" 4:3 screen have a respectable resolution and decent brightness. It's the 14" iBook screen that sucks.

Widescreen iBooks have been rumoured for what seems like over a year. Maybe with the Intel switch. I wouldn't hold my breath, though.

But seriously. The screen on the portables, save for the 14" iBook, are really good.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Welcome to the Apple Insider and the Macintosh community...you are in for some great times!!!

You have to remember here that with Apple you are not strictly comparing hardware to hardware, but also one thing that you will not get on any PC: MAC OS X (and the amazing design Apple products have).

The 12" iBook has an amazing price (more so if you are a college student and your university is included in the Apple Educational Discount program). There is no competition to the 12" iBook (in terms of price and features) in the Windows world. The cheapest competition I can think of is a dell inspiron 700m (12" widescreen - $1100 no options), that:

1) comes with windows; you can't run virus-free, rock solid, and the world's most useful operating system - Mac OS X

2) has intel intergrated graphics (which basically means that your graphics processes feed off your ram memory = terrible); all macs have some kind of dedicated graphics processors

3) has no standard bluetooth

4) is developed by a company that invests less than 3% of their revenue in R&D - meaning that their design is terrible and so are the materials out of which the notebook is made of

5) has a batter pack sticking out from the back

The list can go on, but the iBook is clearly the winner here. Maybe the screen of the iBook lags somewhat behind the competition on the Windows side of the world, but you make up for that in the things mentioned above and some things that I have left out and I'm sure others will correct me if I did.

Keep in mind, that the iBooks most likely will be updated to cutting-edge EVERYTHING (including processors and screens) after they receive the Intel treatment. You can't go wrong with one of these...don't take my word for it: go to an Apple store and play with one and hold it. Then go grab a comparable PC notebook (in price and in form) and play with it and pick it up and hear it scream. Creak, crack,....

Sorry for the long post,

welcome,

and best of luck to you
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Thanks for the help. Maybe I thought the screens were so bad because I was in the really bright apple store and didn't really take much time to look at them. I forgot about the discount for school, I guess I'll just have to go back soon and pay a little better attention. BTW these ibooks were also right next to the 30" Cinema display, and I have to say, I have never seen a more beautiful screen anywhere. Another question while I'm on the topic, if I get an ibook, will it get along with the wireless network in my appartment that's already configured for my roomates windows pcs, or will I have to buy extra equipment. Thanks again.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by brclark82

Another question while I'm on the topic, if I get an ibook, will it get along with the wireless network in my appartment that's already configured for my roomates windows pcs, or will I have to buy extra equipment. Thanks again.

99.9% yes. Check his router. If it is 802.11b or 802.11g there is no problem, mostly a question of him giving you name and password to the network.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Also, when exactly are we expecting this intel treatment you speak of.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Well actually the screen on the 12" ibook/pb IS that bad.

The viewing angle is shitty. You can´t see squat unless you´re straight in front of the screen. That goes for both horisontal and diagonal view.

I have an old laptop at work, 12" Compaq with a Celeron 300Mhz processeor. I guess it´s 5 years old. And I´m telling you the screen is 10 times better than the 12" powerbook when it´s comes to viewing angle. Brightness is prett much the same.

My friend just bought a 15" powerbook and that screen is awesome. Too bad that´s not the case with the 12".

I say wait for the new Intel-powerbooks, hopefully with new screens. Steve said they should be available in June 2006.

//Roger
  • Reply 7 of 10
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Copse

Well actually the screen on the 12" ibook/pb IS that bad.

True. The 15" Powerbook is the first model in the lineup that has a good screen. They should look into getting a better one for iBook. Still, the 12" display is not the worst one there is. It's a good used on your lap, and in lighting conditions other than direct sunlight, where it washes out even when not facing the sun.

My friend's cheap unknown-brand PC laptop that cost less than the iBook has an even worse display. It's 14" or 15" (not sure) and due to viewing angle, on lap use distance, you can't see all the colors on the whole screen even if you position your head carefully. You have to back up two meters from the screen to see even color.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    I have a 14" iBook and the display seems fine to me from most angles.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    I've had both 12" and 17" PB, and I didn't think the 17"screen quality was that much better than the 12", save for the large size and resolution. The color reproduction for both is excellent as far as notebooks go, but 17" has a wider viewing angles (maybe due to its large size).

Make sure you turn the brightness all the way up though, as people tend to mess around with the computers in Apple Store.

Of course, this is all subjective. But objectly PB screens are much better than the ones they use in IBM Thinkpads. I've never seen such a pathetic shades of color over what is supposed to be a smooth gradient than on the Thinkpads.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    I love my 12" G4 iBook (1.33GHz) and would recommend it to any one, I use it at school which i guess is similar to what you would use it for at university and the screen is fine