Zinio, is it worth it?

regreg
Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Just got a new laptop and noticed this app I had never seen or used before, Zinio . It is a on line magazine service. hmurchison said that you could only print one page at a time, has this been corrected? And the copy and paste limitations, are you able to do that now? In general I think it is a good idea but having a paper copy of magazines or reference materials just seems better.

reg

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by reg

Just got a new laptop and noticed this app I had never seen or used before, Zinio . It is a on line magazine service. hmurchison said that you could only print one page at a time, has this been corrected? And the copy and paste limitations, are you able to do that now? In general I think it is a good idea but having a paper copy of magazines or reference materials just seems better.

reg

Hmmm I'll take a look and see if there's a new version. Zinio has potential but it needs to be faster and have areas on the page that can be cut n paste.

I was interested in a programming mag but you couldn't cut n paste the code...well what's the freakin' point of online mags then?
  • Reply 2 of 4
    I've been using zino for some time now and honestly, I still prefer the hard copy. Reading it electronically is an effort at best:

- still slow;

- you have to enlarge every page, every time and it's annoying;

- cut and paste is limited (this may have changed);

- can't read it in the bathroom...

The biggest advantage for me is that I can't misplace any issues anymore!

• Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by cj3209

- you have to enlarge every page, every time and it's annoying

That was the deal killer for me. I assumed it was a bug early on, and emailed them. On a 23" monitor you should be able to read the text without zooming. Fix that and I would use it.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    I ran into problems where it keeps telling me I don't have 'permission' to read the mags I downloaded and have already read at least once. According to their FAQ I need to delete and re-download. HAH! No worky there either. Funny, works great on my work PC but sucks rocks on my iMac at home. This is to read the free MacWorld mag I got for buying the iMac!

So, while I'm not heartbroken over losing copies of MacWorld which I didn't pay for (thank goodness), it does blow that I can only re-download files at work. I wouldn't bother and am certainly not about to renew my MacWorld subscription.