Virtual PC/XP Pro install help!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
ok sorry if this is the wrong board, but here is my problem...

ok, so i got virtual PC and updated it( i also have the latest OSX), and i got windows XP pro, now when ever i start up the virtual pc and want to install the XP pro it wont start up all i get is a dos looking screen that says

"OS not found

Install an OS on this hard drive"

then i hit a button(any button) and it says

"Reboot and select proper boot device

or insert boot media in selected boot device"

so i put in the XP pro cd, the virtual PC "captures" the disk, and the virtual PC says to restart the "windows' system and

"Press any key to boot from CD"

SHOULD appear, only it does not and i get the same old

"OS not found

Install an OS on this hard drive"

what is going on? how do i install a windows XP pro????? ive never done it b4, and this dos stuff is reall starting to mess with my head

thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    omegaomega Posts: 427member
    I think if you read the help files it tells you how to do it.

From memory the first time fails, asking for a bootable CD. You click cancel and try again and this second time it should mount.

As I said, from memory - I installed it 3 years ago (and then deleted it for NT as it was such a dog)
  • Reply 2 of 2
    pubguypubguy Posts: 108member
    Yeah, second that. Windows XP is a SLOW dog under Virtual PC. I've created an XP image but only use that for certain compatability testing....too slow for normal use. Instead, the most stable and fast environment for Virtual PC is Windows 2000 (or 2000 Pro).

I've tried them all. Windows 95, 98, 2000 and XP and Windows 2000 is the fastest and most stable.

When you go to install the operating system, make sure you have atleast 2G size drive image for your drive C. You can always create a separate Drive D and E if you need more space.