Paris hotel recommendations?

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
So now I am forced to go to Paris and, buy myself a suit and even go spend $150 to hear an opera. All that against my own free will

Bill Viola, who some of you may know I think is godsend, have made parts of the scenography of Tristan und Isolde (a Wagner opera ) and the reviews I have read are very positive, especially how Violas installation comments on the story. So I have to learn to live with it...

Tickets bought to both plane and Opera. All I need now is the suit and a cheap hotel. I am just above hostel standard (I usually stay in single bed rooms at hostels but I can´t find a hostel with that in Paris) but not much. I need a CLEAN place with a decent bed. Breakfast, private bathroom and central location is secondary needs. Forget everything else.

Any recommendations?

BTW: We always talk about he teen years as one foot in each camp. Not longer a kid, not yet an adult. I find the late 20s even stranger: One part of me still wants to find the most hip bar in town, smoke some weed and crash the nearest squatted house and make out with a dark dreadlocked hippie chick that can show me around town the next day (my old time favorite way to learn a new city). Another part is hunting down avangarde video art exhibitions across Europe, finding the best afternoon tea and largest selection of Valrhona chocolate in each city and has to stay at least one night in a deluxe hotel on each trip

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    Check out the lonely planet guide for paris. It usually has the best recommendations for cheap but nice places to stay...
  • Reply 2 of 15
    Just curious: what or who is forcing you to do this?
  • Reply 3 of 15
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Any recommendations?

Novotel
  • Reply 4 of 15
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

Just curious: what or who is forcing you to do this?

My love for Bill Violas video art.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    tomjtomj Posts: 120member
    I suggest one with adequte fire escapes, but i haven't heard of one lately. I'd give a lot to be in your place though. Take advantage of the intermission, your butt will thank you.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    I hear the Paris Hilton is pretty dirty.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    fngfng Posts: 222member
    Oh you wish you could be at the Paris Hilton for one night.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by tomj

I suggest one with adequte fire escapes, but i haven't heard of one lately. I'd give a lot to be in your place though. Take advantage of the intermission, your butt will thank you.

Fire escapes. Strangely enough that was my first thought when I began considering this trip :/

I have two hotels in sight now

Hotel Republique and Hotel de la Terrasse

Which one offer the best location?

My full list ishere. Any recommendations from the full list? I max out at @ ?350 for five night.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    Bill Viola. God sent indeed.

I would stay in the Citadines, Les Halles. Near Opera, and you get to cook for yourself.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    celcocelco Posts: 211member
    We stayed in paris june 2004 here

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...de_France.html

Clean rooms and close to everything good about Paris ie: Coffee
  • Reply 11 of 15
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    If you are allergic to dust - stay away from the small quaint places...
  • Reply 12 of 15
    celcocelco Posts: 211member
    If you are allergic to dust stay away from Europe. What disturbed me most about paris was reading about some dude who became a paraplegic by slipping and falling on all the dogshit on paris streets.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    In '98 when my wife & I were in Paris we stayed at the hotel Jules Cesar (part of our 2 week honeymoon whirlwind tour of Europe ). It was nice for the price, had a private bathroom and such.

Don't know if that's too pricey for you or not, it was a 3 star place I believe. Really the only reason my wife & I stayed there was because it was the first decently priced place we could find coming out of the train station. My wife & my French was way too rusty to coax any help from the 'tourist helpdesk' but those hotel clerks are all too eager to bridge the language barrier, especially when money's involved.

I did a quick google and you can find info on the Jules Cesar here.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    I ended up making a reservation here

Lets see if my taste is the same as the primary american reviewers I am going tomorrow, taking a stop over in Berlin (oh I love that city).

Anyone have any other advices for what to do in Paris? I only have a couple of days but I might as well see some of the city while I am there.

Ohhh. Nearly forgot: Where can I buy Valrhona chocolade in bulk in Paris? My usual supplier is a shop in Berlin but their selection is not so great, only three types in their 3 kg packings.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Choosing a hotel among all of the various facility providers is always a tough job you can find & compare best one from www.sletoh.com It?s really a very good online resource. It will help you to compare hotel prices and rates in an instant. You can find hotels according to your budget and requirements. Hope this will work out for you.

Happy journey in advance!