Networking a PC and Mac

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hey everyone, im having dificulties networking my PC to My mac, im on osx panther and i have xp on the pc, ive tried doing smb://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx on the mac to try to connect with the firewall down on the pc and it doesent seem to work. i have a d-link router and they are both wired. what do you think?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    more details, lets go through this one step at a time. mods, if you could move this to genius bar, that would be swell.

what winOS are you using on the PC?

the key is to set the same workgroup name in the mac via Directory Access utility on the mac.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Considering I am going to be buying a mac soon I am interested in the answers here also.

Sunil... he stated he was using Windows XP on the PC.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    hi people, okay, cool, the two things to look out for on the mac side is:

open the application Applications>Utilities>Directory Access. in this app, you have to configure SMB so that the workgroup name is the same workgroup as your windows one, say "MYSUPERWORKGROUP". now, assuming you have set up ms windows file sharing on winXP and shared folders, etc, you should have no problems on Tiger (update to 10.4.2) accessing the windows shared folders. In the Mac Finder, hit command-K and enter smb://192.168.1.x/ etc etc.... Alternatively, in the Mac Finder, open a new Finder window, click on the Network icon on the left hand side toolbar, and your workgroup name eg. "MYSUPERWORKGROUP" should be there and you can attempt to browse your windows shared folders that way.

a sometimes easier approach is, in System Preferences on the Mac (you still have to do the Directory Access bit in step 1 to make sure workgroup name is the same), Click on Sharing, then turn on and off the Windows File Sharing service as required. When turned on, give it a few seconds, and you should be able to browse your Mac home folders via My Network Places - Workgroup Computers - etc etc in winXP.

side note (3.)

For you suse linux kids, i have found the SMB/CIFS server on suse linux 9.3 to be quite decent, no problems accessing it from my winxp pc, but on the mac i found it best to use CIFS://192.168.1.x etc etc instead of SMB://192.168.1.x etc

on the linux side you have to set up a separate user and password using the terminal command "smbpasswd" otherwise you won't be able to connect properly.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    This post had me worried I was going to have trouble here. I just got my powerbook today and it instantly found my linksys network during the initial intro to MacOS. I typed in my wep and it went right to updating the notebook online. Everything here is running WinXP. I wish I could tell the OP what to do, but at this time, I am clueless. lol. If I get some ideas Ill sure be back to post them.

Ghost
  • Reply 5 of 7
    what is OP? what do you want to do with the powerbook and your winXP network? are you at work?
  • Reply 6 of 7
    ??? I dont want to do anything. Everything is working perfectly on my end.

OP = Original Poster
  • Reply 7 of 7
    cool. no worries