Networking a Mac & Pc

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Ok lol I hope I have this in the right place this time. Anyways here is the deal, I am trying to network my Mac and Pc, they are both wired to a dlink router, I can get the Mac to recognize the pc but it asks for a password, thing is I don?t have a password on either the Mac or pc for anything. Anyone have any suggestions?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jmila1901

Ok lol I hope I have this in the right place this time. Anyways here is the deal, I am trying to network my Mac and Pc, they are both wired to a dlink router, I can get the Mac to recognize the pc but it asks for a password, thing is I don?t have a password on either the Mac or pc for anything. Anyone have any suggestions?

If you are using XP your area will have a username and password - if you've never created a password just leave the password field blank. If you can tell me what version of OS X and Windows you're using it would be helpful.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    I am on Windows XP pro and Mac osx Panther (10.3.9)
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Quote:

I am on Windows XP pro and Mac osx Panther (10.3.9)

Once you've connected via the router make sure (on the Mac) that Windows Sharing is turned on. Go to System Preferences and click Sharing. In the services menu make sure the Windows Sharing service is ticked. The bottom of the screen will tell you what the address is from Windows.

Go onto the PC and go to My Network Places, add new network place and enter the address which was on the Mac. Enter your username and password (this is your admin password - if you don't have one leave blank) when prompted. You can now access your Mac from the PC. On the Mac click Network in the finder - the PC should appear.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Wow ive been trying to get this working for so long, thank you so much. one last question though, i cant view any of my pc files from my mac is their a way to fix that?
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:

Wow ive been trying to get this working for so long, thank you so much. one last question though, i cant view any of my pc files from my mac is their a way to fix that?

Does it not appear when you go to the Network folder in Mac OS X?
  • Reply 6 of 9
    no it does not. i can view the mac fromt he pc but i cant view the pc from the mac
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:

no it does not. i can view the mac fromt he pc but i cant view the pc from the mac

Do you have any kind of software firewalls running on the PC? I had to setup a VPN client for office work. Unfortunately, it uses a configuration policy that prevents me from seeing my Windows based laptop with the Mac at home. I have to disable it at home so I can see the laptop.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:

OK, you may need to change your firewall options on the PC. I'll get back to you in a sec with how to do it
  • Reply 9 of 9
    OK - someone got there before me!

OK go to My Network Places on the PC and set-up a network using the network set-up wizard, follow the instructions and once you've finished you should see the workgroup name on the Mac in the Network folder. You will then be able to connect. If this doesn't work try the other option below.

To change the settings go to My Network Connections on the PC and get the properties window up (right-click, properties) on the Ethernet connection - in one of the tabs it will mention the firewall - if you're using service pack 2 there is a security centre you can use to change the firewall as well. Make sure the File sharing option is allowed.