Recording from audio tapes

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I want to transfer some speeches I have on tape to my computer (mp3, then to audio CD).

Using iMic as an input device, will Quicktime Pro handle the input/encoding for me? Or can I do this without QTPro ?

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    I actually transfer old records to CD. But your need is no different. I use the Spin Doctor application which is part of the Roxio Toast 5 Titanium package. Its works great. Toast came with a cable that I connect from the stero speakers plugs to the microphone jack on my Macintosh.

While I play my record (or tape) it saves the file on my Macintosh as a AIFF file. I use that file to burn to CD, but you can use it and convert it to a MP3 via iTunes.

Hope that helps.

Dave K.

[ 02-09-2002: Message edited by: Dave K. ]

[ 02-09-2002: Message edited by: Dave K. ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 4
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member

[ 02-09-2002: Message edited by: Dave K. ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 4
    You need some software to acquire the audio data. There are a number available. I like Coaster, freeware you can find on version tracker. I would search version tracker for recording programs and choose one you like. QT can be used for playback and for editing but not for recording.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    soundjam will rip directly from the sound imput jack to AIFF or MP3. the files sound good and it saves the hassle and time of transcoding.