15inch G4 Powerbook scrambled images

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi, I really hope someone here can answer a question about my powerbook. I have had it for a little over a year and it is really acting up. Over the past month the screen has intermitantly become scrambled and distorted where there are black lines flickering up and down. On the most recent time this resulted in my screen going black, save for one grey line going across the bottom. Everytime this happens I think "well, this is it.. it's all over", but then I manage to restart it and everything is fine again. I don't have applecare, so that is not an option. I would just like to know what is wrong with it. Apple hardware test comes up fine everytime, I use disk warrior. I take great care of my PB. Is this an lcd problem.. .logic board problem? Is this something that is going to just stay status quo or is this a harbinger of much worse to come? Thanks in advance for any valuable insight.

Matt

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    does it do the same thing on a external monitor?
  • Reply 2 of 4
    ahbinahbin Posts: 3member
    I don't know. The only other computer in the house is an emac. I don't have access to another monitor. Even if I did, this problem only surfaces once a week or so, so it would take quite a bit of troubleshooting.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    mmmpiemmmpie Posts: 628member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ahbin

Hi, I really hope someone here can answer a question about my powerbook. I have had it for a little over a year and it is really acting up. [...] Is this something that is going to just stay status quo or is this a harbinger of much worse to come? Thanks in advance for any valuable insight.

Matt

Same thing is happening to my iBook.

I believe it is caused by the cable that threads through the hinge fracturing. With my iBook I can usually wiggle the screen so that it comes right again, but I just dont close it anymore.

A skilled tech should be able to either:

a) repair the cable

b) replace the cable with another one

c) build a new cable

I also believe that Apple considers this a "replace screen" defect, and so it is really expensive. If you have Apple care or warranty use it now.

As an aside, I cant recommend Apple care enough for a laptop. Ive had several repairs done under it, with the 'Apple' cost coming in at several times the cost of the apple care, very nice.

[edit]

The cable will eventually fail completely, and you'll need to get it repaired, or use an external screen. Ive always liked the idea of removing the screen from a laptop and using the body as my desktop.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Thanks for the reply. I was worried that it was something inside (maybe the logic board) causing the problems. If it is the cable then it is not as much of a problem. I would be fine using an external monitor since I only use my PB on the desktop anyway. By the way, what kind of cables would I need to connect an external monitor?