Mouse with horizontal scrolling

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I just love the column view in the MacOS X Finder, but where is the mouse with horizontal scrolling to speed up navigation. To me, a mouse with some kind of touch-sensitive pads on its sides or a type of joystick (that allows you to scroll both vertically and horizontally) would be a truly intuitive and fast way to navigate through files and folders. What do you think? Is Apple working on something like this?

[ 11-25-2001: Message edited by: ulle ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Check out <a href="http://www.os2voice.org/VNL/past_issues/VNL1200H/vnewsf2.htm"; target="_blank">this</a>. It's a mouse with a trackpoint type button on it that lets you scroll not only horizontally and vertically but also diagonaly. I've used one (on a PC) and loved it.

[ 11-25-2001: Message edited by: Outsider ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Using the OS9 Drivers my MS Intelimouse can do horizontal, vertical & diagonal scrolling by clicking the scroll wheel and dragging the mouse. It's only supported in a few apps though, and not at all in OSX.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by Mediaman:

<strong>Using the OS9 Drivers my MS Intelimouse can do horizontal, vertical & diagonal scrolling by clicking the scroll wheel and dragging the mouse. It's only supported in a few apps though, and not at all in OSX.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I was able to do that with my Kensington Optical Pro mouse in OS 9 too.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Most of the PCs in my college labs have them, I have to say I hate them. there's just the lack of control and a good feel about them. It doesn't feel right when I just want to scroll down.

[quote]Originally posted by Outsider:

<strong>Check out <a href="http://www.os2voice.org/VNL/past_issues/VNL1200H/vnewsf2.htm"; target="_blank">this</a>. It's a mouse with a trackpoint type button on it that lets you scroll not only horizontally and vertically but also diagonaly. I've used one (on a PC) and loved it.

[ 11-25-2001: Message edited by: Outsider ]</strong><hr></blockquote>
  • Reply 5 of 5
    arty50arty50 Posts: 201member
    I just got a new PC at work and I hated the IBM scrolling device. It worked really well in Netscape, but for everything else it was awful. I played with the settings for a long time, but it never worked properly. I dumped it and got a Logitech.