Connecting a PC laptop to an airport network

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
My short question is - How!

I have 2 macs networked using airport. When I bring my work PC home, which is wifi enabled, it recognises that there is a wireless netwrk in place. It even recognises the correct name.

On the PC it states that the network is security enabled and requires a password. When I try and connect, it doesn't ask for a password and, obviously, fails to connect.

Looking at the airport admin utility, I can't see anywhere where I have limited the network to just my two macs, or where I can set something to allow further machines. I don't have a third mac to see how (if) that connects.

Can anyone help?

Cheers,

David

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Isn't there software that comes with the base station for the PC?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    I haven't looked. But since my PC can connect to WiFi spots in airports, stations etc, then surely my laptop has all the software it needs since Apple's Aiport is a standard WiFi system?

I will dig out the Airport discs to have a look in any case.

Thanks,

David
  • Reply 3 of 6
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Well you're experiencing problems so the disc should help - there is definitely software available for the base station - try this: http://www.apple.com/support/downloa...orwindows.html
  • Reply 4 of 6
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    i did this with my dell no software needed, it's a windows xp configuration issue. i believe i had to configure first then let it access my network. it's been working since day one. i made the mistake of configuring before i had my network operational. good luck. i have the snow airport (not extreme) dell 8100 with wireless pcmia card.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    I assume you are using a password. In the case of Apple you can type in a simple password like "snowball". However, in the case of the PC you have to type in a long, hexadecimal password. Someplace in the Airport Admin Utility you can get this password.

As a test you could set the base station to not require a password. Then your PC should connect. This will verify that everything is OK. Then you could reset the password and when you set it you should see the hex equivalent.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    skatmanskatman Posts: 609member
    Quote:

However, in the case of the PC you have to type in a long, hexadecimal password.

Depends on the wifi config software. My Atheros config utility lets me type hex or ascii so I can be as cool as all the mac peeps!