Automator workflows as Folder Actions

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I want to create an automator workflow that I can attach as a folder action via the "save as plug-in --> folder action" item. All I want the workflow to do is watch the folder for any PDF files being saved to it and when it comes across one it appends a specific string to the "Spotlight Comments" field.

How do I make this work?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    I don't think Auotmator is designed to do things when files are updated - you could make a smart folder for new PDFs and then every so often check the folder and add the spotlight comments using automator.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    But here's the thing...

I created an automator action that successfully can search for PDF's in a certain directory and tag them successfully with the spotlight comment I want.

Saving an automator action as a "folder action", it is supposed to run every time a file is added to the folder you attach it to. In fact, it does run. The problem...

It doesn't do anything. I wonder if this is a bug.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Did you put a View Results action in there to see what it is doing?

Or post the action and we'll take a look.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Well I know the automator workflow is fine because if I run it manually, it updates the PDF's in the folder I want. The problem is that it won't work if you tell Automator to attach the workflow as an automator action.

I was just curious if anyone else had trouble with Automator and folder actions not working correctly.