What is the word on PowerBooks?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I am the dumb guy here, but I am not reading much speculation on PB upgrades?



What is the rumors / expectations?

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 15
    pbaker05pbaker05 Posts: 143member
    Come, on people, help me out here. I onlyu buy PB's.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    pbaker05pbaker05 Posts: 143member
    Oh, look, somebody replied.



    Wait, it was just me.







    Hellooooo?
  • Reply 3 of 15
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Some think it's possible a 7448-based PowerBook will be out with speeds of maybe as much as 1.8GHz and higher-resolution display. Slight possibility of a change to the 12" to be a 13" widescreen. Others, like me, think there will be no change to the PowerBook until the Intel models appear in March/April 2006.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    pbpb Posts: 4,228member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by pbaker05

    Oh, look, somebody replied.



    Wait, it was just me.







    Hellooooo?








    Don't worry, it is not that people here hate you. There is just not much to say and all we know has already been discussed. There is some hope that this month will bring updated Powerbooks. In fact, TS believes that the updates may come as early as next week. Although the specifications are still in the dark, one is sure: this will be not the Powerbook sporting an Intel processor. It will probably have the new 7448 processor from Freescale and perhaps displays of higher resolution (not clear if HD). No word yet for the graphics capabilities, but the MPC7448 should allow for a little more beefed-up GPU. And it would be a nice opportunity for Apple to correct the ridiculous memory integration to the 12" model (compared to the 12" iBook).
  • Reply 5 of 15
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,513member
    This could be a very nice upgrade. I'm on a 15" Aluminum, 1.25GHz PB that is two years old. If I could upgrade to a 1.8 - 2.0GHz G4 that would be wonderful. Along with that Apple could introduce a number of changes.



    Better LCD panel, maybe a little higher resolution.

    Better GPU - H.264 decoding would be newsworthy

    100GB 7200 RPM HD

    nicer speakers

    better shape and location for the track pad

    quieter keyboard

    slightly longer battery life

    better WiFi antenna (a jack for an external antenna would be great!)



    This is just off the top of my head.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    i have specific information regarding the update: it will happen in the next 10-12 months for sure... Sorry I couldn't resist. .. I too am waitin gfor a powerbook that isn't half-assed.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    nijiniji Posts: 288member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by pbaker05

    Oh, look, somebody replied.



    Wait, it was just me.







    Hellooooo?






    the facts:

    1. the 15 inch PB is the best notebook for the mac platform

    2. while it may be nice to know when updates are coming, no one does know

    3. while a person can usually delay purchase of a needed computer for up to a few weeks by using another or borrowed computer, there is a practical limit on how long you can wait

    4. as the AAPL financials will show (released oct 11) mac notebooks continue to be a strong segment for apple in spite of slow and feeble updates (meaning: people like you and me are buying them even without updates)

    5. after you buy yr PB this week and new ones come out in 2 weeks time, you will still love yr mac

    6. lastly, its OK to do a bump of yr original post, once. never twice.

    think different.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    if the mac mini is going to be 1.5 Ghz by wednesday, apple better have a powerbook update or it will be quite sad, it will become what the ibook is today-good for general public use but nowhere near good enough for the rest of us.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Well, this is officially getting rather ridiculous!



    My buying pattern (personal machines).



    Powerbook G3 "Wallstreet" 250 MHz G3 - introduced 10/1/98

    Powerbook G3 "Pismo" 500 MHz G3 - introduced 2/15/00

    Powerbook G4 15" 1 GHz G4 - Introduced 11/?/02



    It's now October 12th of 2005 (just shy of three years later) and I'm still waiting for something with a processor 2x faster than my current one. I'm even to the point I'll consider a 1.8 GHz if it were released.



    My iPod is at it's max so I was going to wait and see what was announced today (I was hoping for 80 Gigs). I would probably seriously consider ordering one TODAY if they supported Firewire but because my lowly Powerbook doesn't have USB 2.0 I'll be waiting. I know I can buy a card but I don't want to buy a card, iPod, all the accessories, etc. and then stop using the card in 6 months when I can finally get a half-way decent laptop!



    It's rather sad that the lack of an adequate Powerbook option would limit the sale of something as simple as an iPod... Throw in that I'm holding off on purchasing a new Airport Extreme and maybe an Airport Express with the stereo cables, etc. and I've got a chunk of cash sitting on hold waiting on Apple.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    I think the new PBs (and PMs) are waiting for 10.4.3 to be finished. I wouldn't put money on it, but Freescale was supposed to be delivering their G4 dual cores about now, just like IBM with the dual core G5s. Both processors would be a grand exit for the PPC in the pro lines. If that is the case then 10.4.3 is going to be the main factor in releasing the new pro Macs.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,147member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by kenaustus

    I think the new PBs (and PMs) are waiting for 10.4.3 to be finished.



    That's probably the reason for the delay. The rest of your explanation about dual-core G4s is probably inaccurate.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    coreycorey Posts: 165member
    How long can they wait though? Given the "secretive" advertising method they follow people can't plan.



    I was all ready to plunk down for a PowerMac but I need more incentive...



    Any later than the end of the month and my seasonal "toy" cash will have already been allocated.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Corey

    How long can they wait though? Given the "secretive" advertising method they follow people can't plan.



    I was all ready to plunk down for a PowerMac but I need more incentive...



    Any later than the end of the month and my seasonal "toy" cash will have already been allocated.






    i feel you on this.





    i'm in the same boat.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Well I need a laptop bad and I just know that as soon as I buy one they'll either lower prices or upgrade them for the same price. Currently I think the iBooks and powerbooks are lagging way behind in the bang for your buck category. After todays iMac announcement i wish i was able to buy one of those but i just have to have a laptop. Hopefully we'll see something soon.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Quote:

    Originally posted by brclark82

    Well I need a laptop bad



    Same boat here. Thinksecret talks about a PB/PM update soon, but I've heard that before - about Paris - about One More Thing ... not holding my breath.



    That said, the pulling of SJ's original keynote talk at Paris makes me think there was a rearrangement or delay of planned announcements this fall.
Sign In or Register to comment.