To Boldly Go... into Scott McNealy's Bedroom

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Now I know that Steve doesn't see things my way, and I'm OK about that. But as long as everyone is speculating (iWalk, for heaven's sake!), I thought someone needed to chime in and get us off the desktop, out of the consumer market, and spend a minute looking at where the real money lies: business.

I realize, of course, that this doesn't play into the deep reading of apple's teasers. Oh well.

What apple really needs is a partnership (or marriage) with Sun. Apple should kill their whole server line, and Sun should ditch the desktop. It's a small sacrifice for both companies, which will yield something much better: a respectable, nay exciting, choice for a business network.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you: snapple.

Apple should provide a version of a rootless XonX so that all of the server functions can be administered via GUI tools on an os X box. And Sun should, well, make all their tools administerable via a rootless XonX GUI on os x.

Package it nicely, and then work together to create a new, midrange server offering. Easier to administer than what Sun currently sells (which would be, what, and e450?) and more scalable than what Apple can currently offer. (I know you'll say that os X is scalable, but the hardware ain't).

What's the immediate ramification? Oracle! A real database running in an Mac network. People of Big Budgets start looking toward us, and smiling. We're not just the Beemer that the CEO drives, but we're the fleet of Ford trucks the company purchases.

The totally unexpected, out-of-this-world announcement for MWSF? Sun's first Apple branded server. Available immediately.

NOTE: this does not exclude new iMacs or PowerMacs. Though I'm suspicious of any G5 claims and I think Apple is stupid if they don't bump iMacs to at least G4s, but that's another thread, I'm sure.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    xypexype Posts: 672member
    that would make sense for both companies, but the question is just how much resources a R&D effort to synchronise the two giant companies would take and whether it's a viable business decision since it's still a risk.