Absurd Separation of Powers at Apple Computer Inc.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
A letter of complaint I sent to Apple after a wonderfully "different" experience I had with Apple. But did I receive a letter of apology, explanation, or response? No. So now I feel I must share my poor experience such that other consumers can be more cautious, aware, and help change a ridiculous system of operations.

Thank you,

TM

To whom it may concern,

There is a

Absurd Separation of Powers at Apple Computer Inc.

that needs immediate attention.

I have always been a Windows user but, like many who are tired of the PC-based problems, I made the decision to switch to Apple on Monday Jul 11th. I excitedly purchased everything would need for college. I got a top of the line 15 inch Powerbook, iPod, printer, iSight, and MS Office 2004 - everything and more that I needed for college. I used the simple Apple Online store and everything arrived within five days.

Apples are more costly than PCs, but I was sure that the Apple would be worth it. Fewer software, hardware, and virus issues with an Apple. Top of the line service. No messing with big box retailers when there was a problem ? go straight to the source ? my local Apple Store.

Almost immediately I had a strange problem: every time I would change my battery profile or when I booted up the machine, my screen would distort for anywhere between 1-6 seconds. Naturally I was very sad to find a problem on my newly purchased Powerbook. I stopped using it for several days until I had time to go to the Apple Store and see what was wrong, hoping that it was just a software issue.

PROBLEM ONE: GLITCH IN SCREEN ON NEWLY OPENED TOP OF THE LINE POWERBOOK.

As I waited in line for a technician at Apple ? a ?Genius? - I tried to replicate my problem on one of Apple?s display model Powerbooks. The problem did not occur thus ruling out the possibility that it was just a known glitch and function that I would have to live with. This meant that indeed something was wrong with my computer. After explaining and showing the problem to the ?Genius?, he informed me that the logic board was damaged and that because it was a new computer it would be considered Dead On Arrival (DOA) and I was entitled to a brand new Powerbook, or a full refund. I opted for a brand new Powerbook ? mistakes can happen, even for Apple.

As the ?Genius? attempted to process my exchange, he realized that my Powerbook was a top-of-the-line Powerbook with a 100 gig hard drive, and 128 VRAM video card. Ironically because my Powerbook was a top-of-the-line Powerbook, he was unable to refund or exchange my Powerbook.

I inquired as to why a ?Genius? at my local Skokie Apple Store would be unable to help me refund or exchange my defective product. The ?Genius? tried to explain the unexplainable ? that because I ordered my computer at the Online Apple Store and had the hard drive and video card upgraded he was unable to help me in anyway. How can that be I asked, it is an APPLE computer, sold to me BY an Apple Store and here I am at an Apple Store. He admitted the policy was absurd, but replied that all I would have to do is call 1-800-MY-APPLE. He said to tell them that I had gone to an Apple Store and that the logic board was damaged; he then said that they would exchange my Powerbook with ease. ?Sorry for the troubles, if you need me to go through the support lines on my off time, or if you need anything else please just ask? as he handed me his card. I thanked him.

To not be able to exchange or refund any defective APPLE product at an Apple store strikes me as completely bizarre. It is as though the Apple Store Online and the Apple Retail Store stores are completely independent companies. I did not pay more for this top-of-the-line Powerbook to get less service. Apple is supposed to be the Rolls Royce, not the lousy, cheap, used car?why don?t their ?dealerships? function with a little more accessibility when there is a problem?

PROBLEM TWO: APPLE STORES AND APPLE ON-LINE OPERATE SEPARATELY AND DO NOT FULLY SERVICE EACH OTHER. ISN?T THIS ODD FOR A ?LUXURY? PRODUCT? ISN?T THIS SOMETHING ONE WOULD EXPECT FROM A MORE ?BASIC? OPERATION?

After the ?Genius? understandingly admitted that the Apple return system inhibiting him from being able to help me was ridiculous, I thanked him for his time and help to the best of his ability and proceeded to call 1-800-MY-APPLE as instructed to by the ?Genius?. I told the operator that I had gone to a ?Genius? and that my logic board was damaged and I needed a replacement Powerbook right away, especially because mine was within the refund grace period. The operator transferred me to another person who I explained my situation to, who then transferred me again and again. After four transfers I finally began to make progress with one of the head refund reps.

PROBLEM THREE: POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE AT 800-MY-APPLE. MULTIPLE TRANSFERS TO VARIOUS CUSTOMER SERVICE REPS.

Regrettably, the progress however was not positive. I had retold my story for the fourth time and all the Apple Rep could do was offer me ?You can ship us your Powerbook and we will try and repair it. IF we are unable to repair it we will send you a new one.? This policy made sense if my computer had been used/old and operating under the warranty, however, as it was less than seven days old, I felt that I was entitled to a refund or brand new computer. I told the Apple Rep that I had talked to an Apple ?Genius? and he had assured me that I could exchange the computer, not merely settle for a repair. The Apple Rep replied that I must have been misinformed.

PROBLEM FOUR: DOA PRODUCT PURCHASED THROUGH APPLE ON-LINE COULD NOT BE RETURNED FOR NEW PRODUCT ? ONLY SENT IN FOR REPAIR. NEW PRODUCT WAS AT APPLE?S DISCRETION.

Angry and confused I hung up and proceeded straight back to what seemed like my local friendly Apple ?Genius?. I told him my 1-800-MY-APPLE experience and how I was denied an exchange. ?No they are dead wrong, please wait here and we will call for you.? The Apple ??Genius?? was still on my side and all I could do now was wait. After an hour he came back saying that the Old Orchard Apple retail store was going to order my new Powerbook and all I needed to do was come in and exchange my old Powerbook as soon as the new one arrives. I finally got the help I needed not because of Apple but because of this one understanding Genius.

Epilogue:

My new Powerbook was ordered and received. It is working fine ? the glitch is gone. Much as I am enjoying my Apple, the shine is gone for me from the Apple company. This entire experience did not need to occur. Apple has done many wonderful things and Apple Stores, in general, are helpful places. The disconnect between Apple On-Line and local retail Apple stores remains inexplicable and backwards to me. I hope that Apple fixes it.

From,

TM

DIGG this article at:

http://digg.com/apple/Absurd_Separat..._Computer_Inc.

Discuss this article at blog: http://letter2apple.blogspot.com/200...-response.html

THANK YOU,

TM

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    If you are looking for sympathy, you got some. I too, have had trouble with service and returns. I wish Apple would get its act together in that regard. However, as a Mac and PC user, the number of serious problems I've had are far fewer with my Mac than PC. Add a kick-ass operating system and I can justify the cost.

I would seriously consider getting a extended warrantee with your laptop (if you haven't already) because you can bet they'll try to wiggle themselves out of any situation if they can. (It took me 3 visits and a couple letters to FINALLY fix my iPod.)

Oh yea, double posts are frowned on here.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    And click.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Moving to General DIscussion. This has nothing to do with Current Hardware.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Enough with the spam, already.

• Reply 5 of 10
    I've removed his other identical post - which is incidentally exactly the same one that he posted at AN and MacRumors - and I've banned him.

I'll leave this thread in place so anyone who's interested can go and spam his blog.

Please do.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    You removed my post too. I don't mind though. I had no idea he spammed THAT much. I would have retracted my statement anyways.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

You removed my post too. I don't mind though. I had no idea he spammed THAT much. I would have retracted my statement anyways.

Your post was just moved to spam hell, by default ... I've now split it from the removed thread and it's integrated back into this thread.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    sport73sport73 Posts: 438member
    I can agree that bad customer service is an epidemic, and that you shouldn't have been transferred or given the run-around, but the ultimate source of your problem (the inability to exchange at an Apple Store) is normal and understandable.

You ordered a CUSTOM laptop, it's literally assembled to 'your' specifications. You wouldn't want it the other way - walk into an Apple Store and have the 24 year-old bleary-eyed 'genius' hack open a 'stock' powerbook and install delicate upgrades like a larger HD, etc. That sort of upgrade is best done at the factory.

The same goes for any other laptop. Go buy a Dell at Best Buy and ask for a bigger HD - they'll tell you 'tough' since the HD is factory supplied.

Any 'stock' product can be exchanged at a store or online, but custom upgrades need to be handled online.

Again, I sympathize with your problem, but Apple can't be blamed for normal and proper business practices.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Maybe if they hadn't given you a completely new multi-thousand dollar exchange, you'd have something to bitch about. You had to explain the situation to a few different people? Oh the humanity!

All I can say is welcome to life bub.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Yeah, I can't have a whole lot of sympathy. So he got some runaround. Yes, that is a problem. But the system worked otherwise. From the beginning the brick and morter store should have just done the exchange as it finally occurred, but when he had problems with the phone service, it was good the store took care of it.

But really, any major company like Apple may have to transfer you a few times. Any major company like Apple is sometimes too big for its own britches and gets clogged up by its own size. So long as it doesn't take too long to get the situation resolved, then it's all good.

Try getting a Philips DVD recorder repaired under warranty sometime. They might not lose it when you ship it to them, but don't hold your breath.