buying a new computer.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I know these threads are super common, but I really do value all your insights on this type of stuff. I have recently decided to buy a new computer. I have an 800 G3 iBook currently. The logic board died once die to some flaw... got that replaced for free. Other than that the keyboard keeps getting messed up, forcing me to bust out with the exacto knife and take the keys off, clean it out and put it back together. One of these days I'm going to break that keyboard. I take relatively good care of the thing, as it was my first major purchase...ever.

What I worry about though, is that if the keyboard breaks, or the screen dies or the HD dies, this computer will be pretty much useless without lots of expensive repairs. I want to buy a computer that I can replace things on if they break or die. I do a lot of photo editing and web work, so screen space is very important to me, as is speed since my RAW files tend to bog my iBook down to a crawl. I was thinking a mini, but can they do dual monitors and can I open it up to replace stuff? Then I was thinking an iMac, but the screen problem still exists and can I open it up to replace things? What about dual monitors on an iMac? Powermac is obviously my ideal, but it's so damn expensive... I could replace anything in it piece by piece, dual monitors etc... but the price is a tad bit high.

I've got the money to do any of these (even the powermac) but what do you all feel would be the most intelligent purchase? Are there any big updates scheduled soon? I know apple sticks to some sort of general schedule, I just don't know what that schedule is. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Asaph