Connecting via Campus network to a Cable Connection

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Here's the assumed setup:

1. A computer that shares cable internet (Running Mac OS X) over a campus network that already has internet and DHCP servers.

2. The computer is a PowerMac G3/300 with two ethernet cards.

?G3/300 Blue/White rev.2

?40GB HD, or 10GB choice; I'm assuming no caching.

?384 MB RAM

?eth(0) is built-in

?eth(1) is pci

?Mac OS X Tiger v10.4.2

3. My question is how would you connect via campus network to this machine and access it's much faster internet, but still keeping most people out (like via user/pass) and not have DHCP coming from it? (as this would interfere with the campus's own dhcp connection.)

Some off-the-cuff ideas: Do some kind of tunneling...(if so, any good program recommendations?) Do I need to tunnel TCP through ICMP, I would think that uncecessary, as our network's firewalls will allow both. They don't block any internal-internal ports.

RECAP: Basically I pay for a cable connection that we got installed, but riding over the college's cable connection. Somehow I figured this out, it was complicated on their end. So in a dorm room there is a Cable Connection of which I was last year, and I want to be able to connect to it through our network. Wireless is too far away. The dorm is about 500 ft away.

thanks in advance.

-walloo.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    I was wondering if VPN would do it.

Mulling it over, I'm going to see if I can install Mac OS X server, and create a VPN bridge so that I can have solely high-speed internet while on our slow Campus connection.

YES.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Stupid question, but what would be the advantages of this arrangement?

It woldn't speed up your internet, because the same campus network is still the problem there.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    regreg Posts: 832member
    You are always limited by the slowest piece of equipment. Therefore you will still get a slow connection from the college. I VPN all the time and my work network is about 1/4 the speed of my home connection. Connecting over a fast network to a slow network does not speed up the slow network.

reg