Quicktime Streaming problems

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hello everyone,

Last night I was trying to watch steve's new keynote address on my latest rev powerbook g4. It wouldn't connect; instead it just was stuck forever on teh "connecting" stage. I'm connecting from behind a proxy server, so I thought that might be the problem, but it streams movie trailers fine... To make things even weirder, on my other computer, running windows XP, on the same internet connection, the keynote streamed fine. Both computers have Qucktime 7 pro, but it's annoying that I had to use my windows computer to run Apple's own keynote address. Any thoughts?

PS- is there anyway to get Mail.app to connect from behind a proxy server?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by powderskier

Hello everyone,

Last night I was trying to watch steve's new keynote address on my latest rev powerbook g4. It wouldn't connect; instead it just was stuck forever on teh "connecting" stage. I'm connecting from behind a proxy server, so I thought that might be the problem, but it streams movie trailers fine... To make things even weirder, on my other computer, running windows XP, on the same internet connection, the keynote streamed fine. Both computers have Qucktime 7 pro, but it's annoying that I had to use my windows computer to run Apple's own keynote address. Any thoughts?

Open QuickTime Preferences, and under "Advanced", choose "http" from the "Custom" transport setup. Then reset it back to "Automatic", click OK, quit System Preferences, and quit and relaunch the QuickTime Player.

Quote:

I don't see any mail proxy (port 25) in the Network Prefs, so I'm stumped.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by powderskier

Is this for POP3 email? Put hashes (#) instead of @ symbols. So: name#domain.com instead of [email protected].

Either that or use a program called Authoxy. I still can't get SMTP working however.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

Open QuickTime Preferences, and under "Advanced", choose "http" from the "Custom" transport setup. Then reset it back to "Automatic", click OK, quit System Preferences, and quit and relaunch the QuickTime Player.

That doesn't work for me.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    On the Apple boards one guy said if you just select the stream from your "Open Recent" menu item it will play.

That's all I could find on it.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Makes two of us. Wish someone can tell me what the problem is.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

On the Apple boards one guy said if you just select the stream from your "Open Recent" menu item it will play.

That's all I could find on it.

Still nothing. Apple has proxy issues...

Authoxy has sorted a few of my problems out, but I still can't see the Apple streams or use Backup 3 to backup to .Mac.