New iPod...is it 5th Gen?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Ok the new iPod, i think, is awesome. But is this the 5th Generation, or 4th with Video Capabilities???? Usually when they change the Generation it involves a new look, like a new wheel or something. So is this the 5th? Have they done away with the "generation" names...whats up???

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    i guess no one knows this do they? haha
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRbetterthanPC

i guess no one knows this do they? haha

Apple: "Even the new 60GB model is 10 percent thinner than the fourth-generation 20GB iPod. More features in less space? Sounds like iPod."
  • Reply 3 of 10
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRbetterthanPC

Usually when they change the Generation it involves a new look, like a new wheel or something.

How about the new look is the big-ass screen! Besides, the click wheel (which started on the mini) is a home run. Don't think it could get much simpler than it is.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I say 5th Gen. The thinner form factor, larger screen, and removal of the remote port qualify. I'll reiterate that I don't know how you can get any better than the click wheel.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Definitely 5th Gen.

It looks very different from the 4th gen. and much more like the nano. The large screen also changes it greatly.

Also, I might be wrong, but isn't it the next generation of iPod EVERY time they update it? I mean, have they ever changed the normal iPod without it being the next generation one? By definition, each time it changes it is a new generation so I would say it's really not very questionable, no matter what Apple calls it.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    iPod photo was a revision to the 4th generation iPod. The form factor did not change through the addition of color and photos. This is a form factor change, however subtle. The core components inside have likely been completely redesigned as well.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    iPod Phote was not the iPod. It was a whole different branch, like the nano or shuffle (I'm pretty sure.) This is the Fifth generation. And just wondering, was the 3rd gen iPod with click wheel, and the 4th gen iPod w/ click wheel and color? Please correct me if i'm wrong lol.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by faxmachine11658

iPod Phote was not the iPod. It was a whole different branch, like the nano or shuffle (I'm pretty sure.) This is the Fifth generation. And just wondering, was the 3rd gen iPod with click wheel, and the 4th gen iPod w/ click wheel and color? Please correct me if i'm wrong lol.

3rd gen still had the old wheel - 4th gen was click wheel, and became colour after it was merged with the photo into one lineup
  • Reply 9 of 10
    So we're all on the same page:

1st Gen: iPod w/ firewire port and mechanical scroll wheel.

2nd Gen: iPod w/ firewire port and touchpad scroll wheel.

3rd Gen: iPod w/ firewire through dock connector, remote port, touchpad buttons and scroll wheel.

4th Gen: iPod w/ USB 2 and FW, remote port, click wheel, 2.0" color screen available.

5th Gen: iPod w/ USB 2 only, no remote port, click wheel, 2.5" color screen, white and black body colors available.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

So we're all on the same page:

1st Gen: iPod w/ firewire port and mechanical scroll wheel.

2nd Gen: iPod w/ firewire port and touchpad scroll wheel.

3rd Gen: iPod w/ firewire through dock connector, remote port, touchpad buttons and scroll wheel.

4th Gen: iPod w/ USB 2 and FW, remote port, click wheel, 2.0" color screen available.

5th Gen: iPod w/ USB 2 only, no remote port, click wheel, 2.5" color screen, white and black body colors available.

Notice anything strang? 5th Gen is the first to start removing features. What the heck is Apple doing? I am very very angry about the removal of firewire and the remote port. I use both almost every day. I am one of the thousands that own a PowerBook G4 which only has USB 1.1. What am I supposed to do, go spend another $3K to replace a perfectly good computer???