800 MHz G4 and Tiger?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hey guys, gotta question for ya. How well will an 800MHz G4 handle OS X "Tiger"? Right now i have 256MB RAM, but if i got Tiger I would bump it up to either 512MB or 1 GB. Just curious if anyone else is running these same specs with Tiger and if so, is it at all sluggish or does it remain fairly snappy.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    I've got a 800Mhz G4 iMac that runs fine with 768MB of RAM. The only thing I've had problems with is these new HD movie trailers and stuff, but I think that's mostly video card related anyway. Oh, and Safari used to beach-ball all the time, but I'm fairly certain that's bug related as it appears to have stopped recently. I'm fairly certain that the machines got quicker with every upgrade.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Thanks for the reply likeafox. As for the HD movie trailers and such, don't you need an HD compatible monitor to view them or will they play if you have the proper quicktime software just not to their full resolution. Just curious, because as of right now i'm still running OS 10.2.8 so i don't have quicktime 7 yet (I think you need at least 10.3.9 to run it)
  • Reply 3 of 8
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Oh god.

Tiger flies even on my 667mhz PowerBoo G4 with 768mb ram.

It's just wonderful.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    i've got a slot loading g3 400 640 ram tiger works great no problems
  • Reply 5 of 8
    ibook 933mhz g4, 640mb ram, 5400rpm (self-mod) 8mb cache drive. tiger is the bomb. stunning stuff. go the 1gb. you won't regret it. i wouldn't go past 1gb though because beyond that ram point the 800mhz g4 would be holdin' things back, i reckon
  • Reply 6 of 8
    PM G4 (Sawtooth) 1GHz (Sonnet) with 1.25GB memory - tiger purrs. When I play HD stuff, things get really bad. I'm unable to watch h.264 full-lenght movies
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Yeah tiger is the fastest version of OSX ever. I have a 667MHz powerbook and it's really fast on it. So it will run pretty on your machine.

It even boots faster than panther. 45seconds for me.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Thanks for the info guys. Now i just have to decide if I should upgrade my Mac now or spring for a new one. Kinda want to wait until the intel Macs are out before a get a new one so i'll probably just do a little upgrade. June 06 isn't that far away right\