FYI Dell 24'' monitors for $780

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Just wanted to post a fyi I saw at another site,

dell 24'' monitors are for sale for 780.

I really want an apple monitor, but hey thats alot of $$$ saved even for a mac true believer.

you have to enter this coupon code ( WFQ9X9GW1VT?2R )and you get 435$ off, I think its only good till the 18th.

Just wanted to let you peeps know about a good deal

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    This is an even better deal. Almost sickening really. I can't wait for the upgrades wednesday I've been putting off my computer purchase for months now and I almost can't wait any longer. Maybe they could even drop the prices on their middle of the line PB's a little.

Dimension 9100 Desktop with 2.8Ghz P4 820 Dual Core, 1GB DDR2 SDRAM, 160GB S-ATA, 16x DVD-R/RW dual layer, 48x CD-RW, 256MB ATI Radeon X600 SE for $1069 after Rebate including 20" Widescreen LCD Monitor
  • Reply 2 of 15
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I've been looking for a new monitor for some time. But I am hesitant to get a LCD instead of a CRT. (I do a lot of photoshop work.)

Does anyone have any experience with Dell screens and color accuracy?
  • Reply 3 of 15
    skatmanskatman Posts: 609member
    I actually ordered that very monitor a few months ago.

It's a Samsung screen (same as in 243T), but the PSU and other internals are BenQ.

The picture is beautiful, the lighting is very even. However, the dang power supply is too noisy for me. Once it heats up, it starts to whine.

I can't live with that, so I ended up returning it.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    I read that on some of the reviews. Is the power supply internal or is there a brick? (I'm assuming internal.)
  • Reply 5 of 15
    The power supply is, unfortunately internal.

It seems that almost all of the 20+ displays these days have switched to internal supplies.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

I've been looking for a new monitor for some time. But I am hesitant to get a LCD instead of a CRT. (I do a lot of photoshop work.)

Does anyone have any experience with Dell screens and color accuracy?

color is fine. it sucks at handling 1080p. but my experience with them is somewhat limited. the most annoying thing is that the 24" is not 16:9 or whatever, so there's an ugly black border around 2 sides of the image when you're watching HD.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

color is fine. it sucks at handling 1080p. but my experience with them is somewhat limited. the most annoying thing is that the 24" is not 16:9 or whatever, so there's an ugly black border around 2 sides of the image when you're watching HD.

Every computer screen I've heard of is 16:10, so this "problem" is not really Dell related.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

it sucks at handling 1080p.

Can you elaborate?
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Quote:

it sucks at handling 1080p

Exactly which content comes in 1080p these days... or even near future?

I haven't seen one true 1080p clip on the net these days... all of the, so called 1080p, videos that I have seen are actually upsampled 1080i.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    Aren't Apple Quicktime Trailers true 1080p?
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Righty- 'o

• Reply 12 of 15
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    There are also standalone video scalers/processors that output 1080p from an 1080i input.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Well, it's a Dell.

Who cares?

I'd buy Apple because of the badge and it looks way nicer.

And...Apple will probably update it's line of LCDs soon anyhow.

Look at the iMac screen for clues...

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 14 of 15
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    It may be a Dell but you can't deny this is a good deal. If I were to buy a new computer tomorrow, it would be the new 20" iMac. However, if I were to buy any other computer I would probably be buying the Dell monitor with it.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Quote:

There are also standalone video scalers/processors that output 1080p from an 1080i input.

What's the point? No new info added to the picture.

Apple's 1080p stuff I'm not sure about. Haven't checked it lately, but it appeared it definitely looked like upsampled 1080i.

Quote:

I'd buy Apple because of the badge and it looks way nicer.

That's the spirit... even if the display is a mock-up!