10.5, 10.6 working on PPC

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I have recently purchased a DPG5 Power Mac and have no plans to upgrade after this purchase for at least two years.

I do however like to stay on top on the latest OS updates.

Well with the Intel transition I am pretty confident 10.5 will work on my current set up (I hope). But what about after that. Is apple willing to support rigs that are 1,2 or 3 years out? To be honest a Power Mac is a big investment and their needs to time to get a ROI.

Anyway I was just wondering if anyone had heard what future support for older hardware would be with upcoming OS releases.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Considering new PPC Macs will be released up to almost the 10.5 release, Apple should support them at least through 10.6 and I'd expect 10.7 too.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

Considering new PPC Macs will be released up to almost the 10.5 release, Apple should support them at least through 10.6 and I'd expect 10.7 too.

PPC Macs will supported for a long time to come. Apple is not going to release an Intel only operating system any time soon. It would kill sales.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Intel was supported from the beginning of OS X. The feature was just disabled. Future versions will support old hardware the same way 10.2, 10.3, and 10.4 support machines that meet minimum specs. I think that has more to do with the overall speed of your machine, not who makes the processor.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    It won't be any more work for them to compile for both, seeing as it's currently easier to work with PPC.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    As long as 10.5 works on PPC...

By 10.6 I sure hope I'll have an Intel PowerBook! If anyone is selling their first or second gen Intel iBook/PowerBook in 3 or 4 years look me up...
  • Reply 6 of 13
    bwhalerbwhaler Posts: 260member
    Don't worry one bit.

Apple needs to protect its installed based.

Heck, even MS needs to, and they account for 20x the number of PC's each year. It would be suicide for Apple not to support the PPC for at least the next 5 years.

In short, they need to wait until the vast majority of their installed based is Intel. And given it is going to take 2 years for the line to be cut over even before the true transition can begin, you really have nothing to be worry about.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    That is good to hear.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    You know I bet the first Intel-ONLY release is OS XI, whether there was a X.9 or not doesn't matter, it would be sufficiently significant to justify moving to eleven - it would be the first highly-optimised version with no reliance on cross-platform support. My thoughts anyway.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    As I recall, Apple has all of their apps running both PPC and Intel - they have been planning for this switch for a long time. The key will be a lot of pro apps where Apple will want to sell new software to pro customers that are still using PPC. This alone makes it viable to maintain OS X on both platforms. When OS XI is released Apple is also going to want to have PPC users being able to buy it. Why should they turn their backs on the PPC users when there is a good revenue stream coming in from them? My guess is that you're safe for 7 - 10 years, if not longer. By then the power of the dual-dual PM will be in the Mac mini so you might be tempted to buy . . .
  • Reply 10 of 13
    jedhajedha Posts: 24member
    10.6 will never be released
  • Reply 11 of 13
    bigbluebigblue Posts: 341member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jedha

Why not ?
  • Reply 12 of 13
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BigBlue

Why not ?

Why?
  • Reply 13 of 13
    ptrashptrash Posts: 296member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jedha

He's assuming the Rapture will come first.