Max. RAM upgrade on 17" powerbook?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Anyone upgraded a 17" powerbook at all?

I thought I was managing on an extra 512MB = 1GB but I notice with graphic materials it still runs slow.

Any advantages to upgrading further, or am I hitting the ceiling speed for the 17"? I've tried turning off other applications inc. Spotlight and don't use any widgets - my start-up is more or less minimal.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    regreg Posts: 832member
    I have 2GB in mine. Graphics speed is fine. The only slow thing is iPhoto start up and that is because of the number of photos. Keeping the number less than 4000 and it is snappy. 5000 and expect a 5 second delay and the start up is painful if you have 10,000 in there. All photoshops with less than 50M pictures are okay.

reg
  • Reply 2 of 5
    justinjustin Posts: 403member
    Reg,

Thats helpful to know. Thanks.

I'm using photoshop CS so it may be a bit slower than iPhoto.

Have you tried loading up the 5000 photos from an external USB drive? My files run into 250MB so I'm not going to get the quantity I need onto a laptop.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    I have a 160GB drive that I download all my pictures to. I have just been lazy recently and have not decided on how many I will transfer. 250 ..... those are some big files.

reg
  • Reply 4 of 5
    justinjustin Posts: 403member
    Thanks Reg.

Did you go for any brand of upgrade RAM in particular? Any reason?

I guess 250MB files sound big.

Next year, that'll be the size of a dog snack
  • Reply 5 of 5
    No type in particular. I usually go with Crucial but my wife order this set so I did not even look at it before installing. We have used many different vendors since we started and the last bad memory was a SIMMs for an old school lab computer. Even then it was bad from the start and was exchanged in less than a week.

With the photos and video that we take at our house, storage is starting to be an issue. We have kept old computers just to act as storage for everything. Maybe for xmas I will get a sans.

reg