using imac 17" as a laptop

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I was just looking through the specs of the new imac and the 17inch comes in at 15.5 pounds, I know that is very heavy by laptop standards but if you could get a case like radtechs mac truck and attach the keyboard to the lid would'nt you have a pretty nice 20 pound g5 laptop. minus the battery of course but I always have a plugin anyway.

hmmmmm food for thought, all you would need is a really nice back pack and you would be set.

how durable do you think this machine would be for transport, does the stand detach easily or is it built in to it.

only 1299

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    I just configured one with a 500gig hard drive and 1.5 gig of ram for 1874, might be interesting to compare this to the powerbook on weds
  • Reply 2 of 10
    500 GB! holy crap that's a lot!

i had no idea HD even came that size yet.

Jeez
  • Reply 3 of 10
    yeah that impressed me too...I never thought I would need that much til I started working with video....it eats it up fast
  • Reply 4 of 10
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Yeah, make sure you invest in a defrag utility as well.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    I thought osx defrags on the go ?
  • Reply 6 of 10
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    Only files under 20MB or so I've heard. It also uses a "sweet spot" on the disk or something like that so that files that get used a lot are put on the fastest part of the HD. This is what I've heard so I'm not so sure if it's correct or not.

Apparently a defrag app is needed if you're dealing with massive amounts of data.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    what is this defragging you talk of?

and what's it do?
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by spiers69

what is this defragging you talk of?

and what's it do?

My understanding is that after a while files get broken up, fragmented and stored on different parts of the HDD this makes the computer run slow, windoze users have to defraggment every so often, but I all thought OS X did it on the fly especially when you have file vault running
  • Reply 9 of 10
    I was thinking that as well. Well, what I was thinking is I really just use my laptop in 2 places. It would actually be about the same price to get 2 17" iMacs with a gig of Ram vs. 1 17" powerbook with a gig of ram. Plus bigger HD, faster....

Hmmmm...
  • Reply 10 of 10
    HOly crap a mimus - Hourding around a 17" iMac? This would be good at a LAN party...but going to lab or class? I guess it could be done.

>>You'd have to worry about cracking the LCD.

[fix:] by getting some plexy glass to temporarily cover it. 5 $.

>>Keyboard could be clunky to carry around.

[fix:] get role-up rubber kb from, say oh, COMPUSA. 20 $.

>>If you want portability...that would mean an APC unit.

[fix:] this wouldn't even be an option. You'd need to wrig up a battery pack that is thinner, and preferably contained always in the backpack itself.

>>Something awesome? 12" iMac wide-screen.

[fix:] Apple should make one, and see what happens. I'd imagine places like the kitchen can use a kiosk, and people can get more frills from putting them in their backpacks as portable desktop computers. It would be like macmini, except it would be an iMacMini G5 that could have a place in your entertainment stand, small dorm desk, and hearts.

buh.

-walloo.