Apple Media Hub

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Front Row is definately going to be a competitor to Windows Media Center (just look at the remote comparison Steve showed).

How about Apple create a small device with A/V and HD outputs that you can connect to your Mac and access your Front Row content over your network. It could just have the actual Front Row program running on it and has a block of RAM it loads the content you request in to. Then you can play it on your TV. It wouldd be cheap and would help sell more content on iTunes.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,458member
    Quote:

Originally posted by isomething

Front Row is definately going to be a competitor to Windows Media Center (just look at the remote comparison Steve showed).

How about Apple create a small device with A/V and HD outputs that you can connect to your Mac and access your Front Row content over your network. It could just have the actual Front Row program running on it and has a block of RAM it loads the content you request in to. Then you can play it on your TV. It wouldd be cheap and would help sell more content on iTunes.

Yes, please, I'll take two.
  • Reply 2 of 10
  • Reply 3 of 10
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Quote:

I'll take one. I would guess that Apple's waiting on the Sigma chip to come out (and writing all that new firmware must be serious work). But it's a media satellite; the media hub is your Mac.

Windows Media Center is looking better every day; now they have several VOD stores and you can use the Xbox 360 as an extender.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Quote:

You do realize what you have just described is Apple's iPod... sans HD outputs.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Or were you just being funny?
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by rongold

You do realize what you have just described is Apple's iPod... sans HD outputs.

It's not the iPod, because it has no storage or screen.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    wmf, I think what you're trying to describe would be the HD version of AirPort Express, no? A WiFi unit that has HD out instead of audio-only out.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    I definately think that this is going to happen. With the new Game Consoles comping out and Intel's VIIV program with Windows Media Center. Apple needs to enter into the market the same was they did with the iPod. An easy to use, easy to set up, decent looking, full featured device that can bring all your media from your computer to your TV and Stereo System.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    The problem that I have with this is that TV tuners are specific to the service that you use.

I use DirecTv, so I will be getting the upcoming DirecTv home media center (i.e. whole house Tivo) that was demoed last Janruary at CES (and due 'any day now'). Unless an apple media center has a few DirecTv tuners in it with a whole house Tivo function with schedule information, it won't sell here.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

wmf, I think what you're trying to describe would be the HD version of AirPort Express, no? A WiFi unit that has HD out instead of audio-only out.

Yeah, and I think that's what isomething is talking about, too.

I think Apple should just let El Gato handle the tuners; you just buy whichever one you want and hook it to your Mac. The Mac does the recording, but the AirPort Express AV does the playback on your TV.