Any success with installing Acrobat Reader 7.0.5?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
First the upgrade from 7.0.3 to 7.0.5 left me with two installations of Adobe Reader. Deleting the "old" 7.0.3 installation killed the 7.0.5 too (although that was in another directory).

Reinstalling 7.0.5 full is a nightmare. First of all you cannot just download the distribution: you need to install the Adobe Downloader (or whatever that crap is named). This installs some stupid app in /Applications/Utilities (why on earth would I want this ... Speed Download, Safari, weget/curl I have whatever I need!).

Then after a download which maxes out the CPU on a laptop (can you believe this) the downloaded Installer does not work (sno space left on device -- I have GIGS to spare).

What an unbelievable crap! Did they ever think, test?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BNOYHTUAWB

First the upgrade from 7.0.3 to 7.0.5 left me with two installations of Adobe Reader. Deleting the "old" 7.0.3 installation killed the 7.0.5 too (although that was in another directory).

Reinstalling 7.0.5 full is a nightmare. First of all you cannot just download the distribution: you need to install the Adobe Downloader (or whatever that crap is named). This installs some stupid app in /Applications/Utilities (why on earth would I want this ... Speed Download, Safari, weget/curl I have whatever I need!).

Then after a download which maxes out the CPU on a laptop (can you believe this) the downloaded Installer does not work (sno space left on device -- I have GIGS to spare).

What an unbelievable crap! Did they ever think, test?

While I would agree that Adobe's download managers make no sense. Perhaps, Adobe employs programmers who don't have enough to do. FWIW, Adobe has employed these download managers for years, especially on the Windows platform. But, nightmare? Come on. I downloaded and installed the updates for both Adobe Reader 7.0.5 and Adobe Acrobat Pro 7.0.5. Both work fine.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

While I would agree that Adobe's download managers make no sense. Perhaps, Adobe employs programmers who don't have enough to do. FWIW, Adobe has employed these download managers for years, especially on the Windows platform. But, nightmare? Come on. I downloaded and installed the updates for both Adobe Reader 7.0.5 and Adobe Acrobat Pro 7.0.5. Both work fine.

While I do not doubt that everthing did work for your installation it went wrong for me on both a 10.3.9 and a 10.4.2 system, all apps in default locations!

I may be due to the fact that I do not use the english version of the reader!
  • Reply 3 of 4
    BTW there is still the possibility to download Adobe Reader directly:

ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/mac/7x/7.0.5/

Just go for one of the "full" packages!
  • Reply 4 of 4
    I constantly get:

Code:

Netopsystems FEAD(R) 2.5 Optimizer(C)

No space left on device

Errorcode: 6740.1547.10.2.25013

Please send the error code to http://www.adobe.com/misc/bugreport.html